Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Time to Get a View Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    I develop 4x5 black and white myself, and color goes to the lab. It's pricey per shot, but Medium Format gear eats more money in a given time frame.
    Lenny Eiger recently convinced me to do my own color at home, and not to be intimidated by the temperature control issues. You don't need a Jobo to do color. I now develop my own C-41 using a wash tub to hold the temps, using the same drums and hand agitation I use for B&W. Try it, you'll get better quality and achieve lower cost. The only thing you need to add to your equipment is a .2 degree glass thermometer to keep your temps in the ballpark.

Re: Time to Get a View Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Yep, they did so. Partly due to age and the weight they were carrying.

Every format his its use, advantages and disadvantages.

One attraction of the view cameras is the tactile nature of the work. The feeling of control.

Just as one doesn't really need to explain why they got a Lotus Elan, a Triumph TR4 or an old BMW R90s motorcyele or Norton Commando - you don't have to explain why you have or use a View Camera. You just do it.

You can get camera, lens, holders, meter, developing trays and a box of film and be in business for less than the cost of a Nikon D3200. It isn't about the cost and you don't need a $2,000 camera to shoot this stuff. If you are somewhat serious already you most likely have a tripod. Might need a heavier or better one but used tripods are relatively easy to find.

As has been mentioned time and again, most of this stuff can be re-sold later without losing much at all.

If you want to try it, do so and enjoy the process.
    To recap:
    "If you want to shoot a view camera then stop being a nancy and shoot a bloody view camera."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    To recap:
    "If you want to shoot a view camera then stop being a nancy and shoot a bloody view camera."
    Yes! And, do it because that's what you want to do.

Just, don't actually "shoot" the camera.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Also don't forget the 'Gambler's addiction' aspect. For each shot you have a lot of time and money (film and developing costs) riding on it, and you are truly gambling that you remembered to stop down the aperture or whether you metered the scene right. You then have to wait days/weeks for developing in house or out (which can also be a gamble) to see if anything worked. Some times the results are truly disappointing (oops forgot to account for the polarizer), but sometimes, just sometimes, you are rewarded with the jackpot! With practice the jackpots come more often, but there is still enough failure (especially in things you can't control - weather) to keep things interesting and bringing you back for the next jackpot. LF does come at a cost, but it is addictive as hell.

mitomac

Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post

I still can't decide if I should get a view camera. It is not necessary, since I have a lot of MF equipment (Bronica 6x7)

Today, a lot of people would ask why you need the Bronica. Doesn't your cell phone have a camera?

Pick up a cheap used monorail with a 210 lens and try it out. You may get hooked. If you find sheet film is not for you then sell it and get most if not all your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by mitomac View Post
    Also don't forget the 'Gambler's addiction' aspect. For each shot you have a lot of time and money (film and developing costs) riding on it, and you are truly gambling that you remembered to stop down the aperture or whether you metered the scene right. You then have to wait days/weeks for developing in house or out (which can also be a gamble) to see if anything worked. Some times the results are truly disappointing (oops forgot to account for the polarizer), but sometimes, just sometimes, you are rewarded with the jackpot! With practice the jackpots come more often, but there is still enough failure (especially in things you can't control - weather) to keep things interesting and bringing you back for the next jackpot. LF does come at a cost, but it is addictive as hell.

mitomac
    Dude,

If you're making all these mistakes, you need to use a checklist or something. One sheet of film = one picture.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Don't I wish! Let's see, where on my checklist did it make sure I actually put film in both sides of all the holders? Or grabbed the full holders instead of the empties on the way out? Maybe there's an iPhone app for that. Admit it, it's the nagging uncertainty that adds spice to the game!!!

1 worm = 1 fish??? If it were that easy nobody would fish for fun as opposed to fishing for fish!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I don't see it that way (LF as a gamble). It really isn't very difficult to build both the knowledge, equipment collection, and disciplined methods to come very, very close to "One sheet of film = one picture" with virtually nothing left to chance. The gambling analogy is cute and I understand the intent, but have never felt like a gambler in all of my years shooting LF (or MF or 35mm either) ... except when going way out of my way to "experiment" or learn a new technique. Mistakes and errors happen, but that's not gambling... those are mistakes and errors.

That's from the technical perspective. "Visualization" skills are a totally different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Don't I wish! Let's see, where on my checklist did it make sure I actually put film in both sides of all the holders? Or grabbed the full holders instead of the empties on the way out? Maybe there's an iPhone app for that.
    There is an app for that.

http://www.iphoneappstorm.com/iphone...p?id=445527423

I use it. When I remember to.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Of course I was just kidding - but I remember years ago going out after a new snowfall (didn't live in Tucson then!) I drove to a little park where there were some neat ice formations in a stream. Only way to get the camera where it had to be was to hang it under the tripod and lie down in the snow to focus. Really neat!

Got home feeling a little sniffly and wound up with a case of pneumonia. Couple of weeks later I headed for the darkroom - and sure enough had taken the empty holders.

Not sure I think of it as gambling though and yes, practice refines technique but there's always the human element and a sense of excitement and a fear of having done something stupid mixed in with the excitement.

And now I have to look for an app to help me to remember to use the app that helps me remember what I have in which holder.

I have actually come around to putting a little sticky dot on the holders after I load them and taking the dot off when I take the film out.

Now if I could only remember where I left my iPad (seriously!!!) Haven't seen it around here for a couple of weeks. Must have left it in an airport lounge in SOME city or other. If only I could remember which city I've been in lately.........

Is there an app for that? Maybe a magazine called Modern Dementia Praecox or something?????