Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 lens with 1/500th shutter speed ??

8x10 lens with 1/500th shutter speed ??

Hi guys, thanks for all your helpful thoughts. I think we're going to use a Nikkor 300M f/9 on my friend's Dick Phillips 8x10. We'll mount a 35mm camera on top to use as the viewfinder (!), and shoot out the open door of a Cessna. It has a specially-made wind deflector on it so it's pretty windless even with the door taken off. For film we'll probably use Astia 100F, push processed if necessary (1/400th at f/9 is pretty slow for anything but bright sunlight).

Now as for the subject we're shooting: dang, I can't say it yet! But next summer the photos will be done and we can talk about it then.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all,

~cj

Terence

Hopefully you've considered how to isolate the camera from the vibrations of the plane, which can cause more havoc than the relative speed of the scenery. A bag of scrap foam blocks, etc may be enough at those shutter speeds. The above mentioned gyro-stabilizers are definitely the way to go and seem to be used by all the aerial photogs we use for site photos in NYC. However, they're typically used with rigid MF cameras, although I did see one modified military Speed Graphic (the ones with the bellows enclosed in a rigid housing).

Hi Chris

I have on my 155mm Grandagon a Compur electric no. 1 shutter wich times up to 1/500 sec. So you could have a look for one on febay! And as film I recomend the Portra 400 NC a neg film or any other neg film with 400 ASA.
    I would never do it with a slide film and I worked 3 years as an aerophotog.
    Just my opinion and good luck!

chris,

I have one of Peter Gowland's 8x10 aerial cameras. If you can live with f/9 and a 1/400 shutter its a good camera. The other alternatives(as I see it) would be something like a K-17 which uses 9-1/2" roll film and isn't all that much fun to use unless you've got a B-25 for your aerial platform, or make a box camera focused at infinity and sandwhich the guts of a speed graphic somewhere between a real aerial lens and the film holder. Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

" The other alternatives(as I see it) would be something like a K-17 which uses 9-1/2" roll film and isn't all that much fun to use unless you've got a B-25 for your aerial platform"

A Linhof Aero Technika EL would be much more convenient. Depending on the back it takes 5" or 70mm roll film, 45 sheet film or roll film backs from 6x6cm to 6x12cm.

The shutter is electronically drived so fast shutter speeds are no problem

Neil Selkirk used a KenLab Gyro to hand hold his Rollei TLR for sharp one-second exposures. Talk to Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works - he has crewed for the Segals, movies, etc. and has been around the world building aerial photography rigs.