Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suburban shoulder bag blues

Re: Suburban shoulder bag blues

I use a large bike messenger bag. Look for a real bike messenger bag, one with a cross strap stabilizer and cam adjusted shoulder strap. They are made to be rugged and easy to get stuff into and out of. Plenty of room for my Crown Graphic and associated junk.

Red face Re: Suburban shoulder bag blues

A sideline here, a picture from the Berlin wall days when I carried a Mamiya C220f around in a fishing bag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Berlin 1985.jpg  

I am one for efficiency myself and i like to carry as little as possible. If you leave the camera on the tripod you can get away with a smaller bag. I use an Orion AW beltpack by Lowe Pro (kind of like a fanny pack but larger) for my lenses (6) and a small Victorinox sling/messenger type bag for film holders (6 DDs, 4 Grafmatics). I never have to put anything on the ground. If you only have three lenses you may be able to get away with just carrying the Orion depending on how big your lenses are.

This is the Orion but I don't think is is avaiable any more. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Belt_Pack.html

I use it without the top which isn't actually attached.

This looks like the sling I use for film holders- http://www.vebee.com/isling-ipod-sling-pack.html

Between these two bags I can carry everything and it is very comfortable.

I have also shoulder bag from Courierware - not the "photo" bag, but the "Super Deluxe" one in the size "small" (mind you, I got it for my Mamiya 6, but it turned up later that my 4x5 fits in too). I would get a bigger one if 4x5 would be the target.

Anyhow - this is how it looks:

1) With Tachi 4x5:

2) With Mamiya 6:

I would only add that the bags are very well made and rain proof - also the gear does not get wet if you put it in the wet ground as it has double wall structure (bag inside bag, so to say).

It is also possible to get some custom changes made (I requested the zippers on the front pockets and the sizes of the internal pockets).
    Matus

Lowepro Magnum; there are different sizes, I believe, and pretty cheap on the used market.

Thanks for suggestions everybody! Messenger type bags have obvious advantages in the urban enviroment. I don't want the bag look like expensive camera bag, and I want it to be light. Thus I bought a Thinktank Retrospective 30, got it yesterday. Ebony 45s + 65, 90, 135, 180 and 300 mm lenses, extension tube set, 5 holders, 6x12 back, black T-shirt, loupe and exposure meter fit in OK. And this bag only weighs 1.5kg:s empty .

That looks like a nice bag. Are those front pockets big enough to hold film holders?

I am also attracted by the ThinkTank Retrospective models, but contrary to you I found them too heavy (but I was looking for a really lightweight bag back then). But I do like the design. Important is, that it works for you.

Light messenger bags have one downside - that is the accessibility - as the bags are not stiffened in any way - they tend to "fold" together so looking for something in the bag or taking it out (or putting in) is not as fast as with bags that hold their own shape a bit. On the other hand softer bags hang closer to the body and can be more comfortable with heavier gear.

Actually - posting a photo with your gear inside the bag would be much appreciated
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    That looks like a nice bag. Are those front pockets big enough to hold film holders?
    Yes, the front pockets are big enough for 3 holders each or a 6x12 back.

I have the Ebony in the middle of the main compartment and the lenses 2+2 on top of each other on each side of it, with one lens attached to Ebony. Tight fit, but who needs empty room and empty weight?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinktank.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	69339

Here is a picture of the bag.