Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unusual camera case

unusual camera case

I have a Calumet 45N. I need to take this camera in the field, and need a case that is as small as possible. With the standards parallel, the inside measurements of a case would be, length = 21", width = 8", height = 15". I am looking for an aluminum case. But the weight is a factor. I see that aluminum cases aren't always light weight. Does anyone know how I can solve this situation. I prefer a case that opens from the top, as opposed to an "attache" style.

unusual camera case

How about an Igloo cooler? You can make inserts to secure/pad the contents. Lightwieght and cheap thermal protection that dosen't shout "valuable camera inside!" Such a deal!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

unusual camera case

Back in the early '70s, I had a Calumet 4x5 monorail, and used their standard hardboard case to carry it into the field. I'd pack lenses, holders and such in the two side chambers, and fill any empty space with the focusing cloth or foam rubber. Then, the whole thing got up-ended on the side panel, and slid into the open bag of an L-frame backpack. It probably weighed 35-40 pounds, but I was young and foolish then. I hiked all over Yosemite with that thing, and climbed half-way up the mountainside to get the upper Yosemite falls. Again, young and foolish.

I tried that again in 1998 with a Toyo aluminum case and a Toyo 4x5 45C monorail. This time, I lashed the Toyo case sideways on just an open military backpack frame, and strapped a large Tamrack bag with two Hasselblad bodies and 4 Hassy lenses on top of that, and added a Bogen 3236 strutted tripod to the heap. The difference this time was that it went on my the back of my son, who was freshly out of Marine Boot Camp. ;-)

The frame-only approach might work for you, Raven, with either an aluminum case or the hardboard/pressedboard type. The aluminum case might actually be heavier. But, you should expect the whole rig to be a strain, and not particularly pleasant to carry in the field.

unusual camera case

I've backpacked before with a 45N. I used a tiny Viet Nam era U.S. ruck sack but of course that necessitates removing the standards from the monorail each time it is packed. A pain in the U know what. The best solution is to peddle the 45N and move on to a wood field camera. The 1950's era Burke & James cases made out of some kind of hardboard stuff with re-inforced corners are smallest, lightest, and toughest, and of course, by far the Ugliest.

unusual camera case

I'm with Jim on this one - I had a 45N, and I used it for about 6 months before moving to a Toyo 45AII. I currently use a Linhof Master Tech, and plan on using this camera until they plant me...

Regardless of what field camera you get, if it isn't easy to use and quick to setup, it rapidly becomes very annoying. I missed many photographs due to the changing light and the amount of time it took to setup the 45N. I'm not saying I would have got the photograph if I had had a proper field camera, but my chances would have certainly been a *lot* better.

unusual camera case

Yes, I agree, and I would if I could. I have my field camera picked out. I've tried them all, and my favorite is the Wista field. This camera will take longer to set up then my Calumet because it is all base tilts v.s. presently having all axis. The Calument in the field is a b_ _ _ _ ! I have a Tenba car case now. This is why I felt that if I had a smaller case, it would be easier. As far as buying a field camera, well, when I was out of work, I sold my Schneider 150mm APO Symar. My one and only. Now, its saving $7oo.oo or so to buy another one. I don't shop camera equipment on e-bay. Possibly a quality camera store will have a nice used one. So the money will go to a lens before another camera. Thanks for the response.

unusual camera case

I made a 5½ inch wooden rail for my Calumet 540, just long enough to hold both standards with the bellows in place. With the camera on that rail, I was able to fit it into a Lowepro Super Trekker, along with the 18" rail, a couple of lenses, and a few film holders, meter, etc. Not elegant and still too heavy, but it worked.

unusual camera case

I just found a Lightware case that is 22" in length, and 7" in width, this is fine. Its 14 1/2" high, though. Its material, so the camera will most likely fit. Its just about the same hight and length as my Tenba, but half the width. I will try it out at B&H. Yes, it will still be heavy. Nothing I can do but perservere. I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with the perfect head waiting for my field camera. Someday.

unusual camera case

When I purchased my first one of these cameras new in 1969, it was sold by Cambo, not Calumet, and came painted olive green.

The factory case was foam lined gray fiberboard with steel corners. Same material as Crown Graphic factory cases. It was an attache case which held the camera when configured flat, with bellows disconnected from one standard and both standards turned 90 degrees, parallel to the rail.

This configuration makes for a tidy package for which you might find a suitable plastic or fiber case at B&H's website.

This is a dandy camera for location work. The monorail design is a clever modern improvement on the old fashioned flat bed camera. The Cambo/Calumet weighs about the same as a field camera and is much simpler and therefore easier to clean (beach sand and trail dust) than a Sinar.

Only difficulty is bulk, requiring a big case. The flat configuration largely solves this problem.

unusual camera case

My 45N weighs 8lbs. and my sturdy tripod for this camera weighs 7lbs. The field camera I want weighs 3lbs. and the tripod I would use for it weighs 3lbs. Thats 6lbs. v.s. 15lbs. I did find a Lightware case after posing the question to this forum. Yes, the standards will go parallel to the rail with this case. And less bulky then my Tenba case. Still, for me, a good bit of weight to trek around with.