Page 43 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: post "in Galli style"

Re: post "in Galli style"

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Nice Gandolfi. Reminds me of one of my all-time favourites from the LOC database:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/95502752/
    thanks - I wish I had thought of that!

Just returned from a week on Monhegan island off the coast of Maine. From the first few developed, here's a soft focus landscape using a small meniscus lens from mr. Galli:

4x5 Efke 25 Pyrocat mc
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Shot with one of Jim's meniscus lenses - Efke 100PL 4x5 in Rodinal 1:100.

Wow, guys. This is really really fun to see what's getting done with these little lenses. Both of the last two are spectacular. I better get busy.

Here's a trio more for you Mr. Galli:

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Just returned from a week on Monhegan island off the coast of Maine. From the first few developed, here's a soft focus landscape using a small meniscus lens from mr. Galli:

4x5 Efke 25 Pyrocat mc
    Look forward to more! Did you get any SF photos at the dock? I've thought the winch frame and the sometimes countless propane bottles would be an interesting SF subject.

I've only shot digital IR and color out there and haven't been out for two years and it's only 25 miles away. your LF teaser is tempting me to head out there sometime for LF too.

It's amazing how SHORT a time a week is on a 1.2 square mile island when you're shooting pretty much all LF. So many subjects still to return to, and many of those are the little details of the island as well as the broad vistas.

I'm hoping it will be an annual thing since my brother is there...so they'll be more opportunities. You are SO close...go for a weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Look forward to more! Did you get any SF photos at the dock? I've thought the winch frame and the sometimes countless propane bottles would be an interesting SF subject.

I've only shot digital IR and color out there and haven't been out for two years and it's only 25 miles away. your LF teaser is tempting me to head out there sometime for LF too.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

I've had a 4x5 Gundlach meniscus lens for quite a while now. It's not a bad little lens stopped down, but its limited by the shutter's aperture to f11. I discovered this weekend that it fit into the shutter from a Gundlach RR (quick, crude calculation tells me around f5 with the meniscus). So, ala Jim Galli, I did some shots with it wide open. Here's one. You can see that the back of the Rodman and corresponding spot on the brick wall are in focus. Definitely something I'm going to play with some more.

Dan

Great Stuff!

My sad sad story for the day......So I win this group of junker lenses with one that just might be worthwhile. Sure enough it's a pretty R.O.C #2 Achromatic meniscus, but it's all seperated and nasty. Long story short after a successful clean and re-cement, I'm proud as punch of my $23 lens. Hard to do these days. The planets seem to be aligning. Then I go on the inevitable failed flange search, and then I'm looking for a 4X4 wood lens board that I can mount it tightly to without a flange. And it happens. The glass tumbles out of the aluminum mount to the concrete floor and shatters.

I'll live to roll the dice another day but was really looking forward to mounting that on a 5X7. Dangit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    And it happens. The glass tumbles out of the aluminum mount to the concrete floor and shatters.

I'll live to roll the dice another day but was really looking forward to mounting that on a 5X7. Dangit!
    You know better. You know to be sitting at a table or at least over a carpeted floor.

Lucky it was not one of those expensive Mass achromatic lenses.......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery