Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: View camera mag

Re: View camera mag

I've had a similar experience to Sanjay, though not recently. I subscribed and frequently missed editions. I'm not inclined to subscribe again if the delivery issues have not been 100% resolved. Unlike Sanjay, I'm not willing to chase down my copy of something I pay to have delivered to my home. So, unless they've fixed the delivery issues, my money stays in my pocket. I'd give an on-line/Ipad version a shot however.

Scott Brewer

Why do I want to spend $400 to read a $7.95 magazine?

Question Re: View camera mag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    The subject wasn't just about all the trees that are used but also all the energy that is used to produce those pages. From cutting and milling, gathering information, to the writing, to the presses and finally to the delivery. Lots and lots of energy.
    Also lots and lots of jobs. There are many industries where economies can be realized at the expense of jobs.

So what do we do with a nice clean environment that's being polluted by the stench of rotting bodies of people who died of starvation because they were unemployed?

The only solution is to make fewer people.

- Leigh

That has always been the the only solution. The upside is mother nature takes care of rotting bodies quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Also lots and lots of jobs. There are many industries where economies can be realized at the expense of jobs.

So what do we do with a nice clean environment that's being polluted by the stench of rotting bodies of people who died of starvation because they were unemployed?

The only solution is to make fewer people.

- Leigh
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

My first question is why would "we" spend lots of money to buy large format equipment and years to master the techniques involved then submit the imagery to a publication that is in a strictly digital format?

My second question is, would you like to work for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    I'd give an on-line/Ipad version a shot however.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Would you be interested if that 7.95 magazine came to you at half the price? Or that 30 dollar book at 20 dollars or more less? Our kids have learned the benefit of buying music on-line for .99 cents a song instead of the usual 20 dollars or more per cd at the usual retailer. I'm learning how to stretch my money from my kids! How that happen?!
    Yes, the initial cost, for the reader, can be high but if you apply different items to it, different uses. Then maybe the cost becomes lower. That 8 dollar magazine comes to you six times. That is 48 dollars. If you read more publications then the one. Add those to your list. Now, if the editors offered you a lower subscription to use the e-reader. You save more and you help save materials and energy.
    Greg, I don't understand your question? Could you please help me? The discussion is about reading magazines on a ipad or e-reader. I use a larger format camera, I have done many years learning my craft. I read to gather information and for enjoyment. How is any of this about working for free?

If the magazine is unrelible in print format it will be unreliable in digital format. I have no issues with any of my (too many) subscriptions, both local and foreign. I therefore have to dismiss the issue being a USPS problem.
    I did like the articles, and did travel to Santa Fe, NM for the show that was heavily promoted by the magazine in 2009 .

Leigh.
    I would agree. Less is more. In the book, Mr. Gore says that as women become more educated, more empowered and offered choices as in birth control. The birth rate drops. I've also read this in other books written by Presidents Carter and Clinton. Both of who have worked to help others after leaving office.
    As to jobs loss. The old proverb comes to mind "When one door closes. Another is opened".

falth j

Sure,

tidy up all the nooks and crannies if you must...

save a tree, save some coal too...

go nuclear and irradiate all those dead bodies piling up...

me...

I like the WABI-SABI essence of all my books and magazines piled with precision in the nooks and crannies of my home, filling empty space with reminders of life's little pleasures....

so much for storing mere electrons, most often lost forever...

no WABI-SABI there...

Robert,

When I was volunteering with some educational programs through the UN, we focused our funds and efforts on educating girls. Girls grow into women, who then force their children - both genders - to get educated as well. It proved to be much more effective then sending boys to school!