Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

Re: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

I went 35mm film, digital 35mm, 4x5, 120, 8x10. 35mm film (B&W) taught me a great deal about darkroom work, exposure, processing. Image quality was reasonably nice, but not as good as quality 35mm digital. I got a hankering to get back into film but I wanted better image quality, so I went 4x5. You learn some more things doing LF, as has been described here. I also do a little 120 film with a TLR; it's smaller and lighter than my 35mm nikon SLR gear and makes images of good quality. It's quicker to operate than 4x5.

For the OPs shooting requirements, either 4x5 or MF would be fine. What you want to do with it is super important with regard to the decision. LF has tremendous image quality, but isn't as quick to setup. If you're doing sports or candids, 35mm analog or digital would be best. For portraits, landscape, buildings, LF has some good advantages, but MF can be good quality and volume.

With prices being so low, you don't have to say one or the other. Get it all if you have space. If you have limited space, get ancillary gear that handles it all. A nice 4x5 enlarger handles it all. An epson v700/v750 scanner instead of a v500. Flashes that let you shoot portraits at small apertures, Tripods suitable for heavier camera, etc..

multiplex

maybe, 120 is a good step,
    but you will just end up getting a bigger camera
    at a later date. you might as well just get a bigger camera
    now, bite the bullet, and then get a bigger camera at a later date.
    you could always get a 4x5 camera AND a roll film back for it
    so you have the benefit of learning about 4x5 perspective control,
    and so when you want to make the leap, you won't be jumping far ..

good luck!
    john

Nicolas Belokurov

And by the way, you don't even need a scanner at first, just buy/make a small light table and just shoot the negs with your canon. Perfect for sharing with friends and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I started with 35mm, then went on to 120, and finally to large format. If I could do it all over again I would start with a 4X5 view camera because the discipline of working with a large piece of film makes you slow down and really think about what you are photographing, and how you are photographing. And get a book on the view camera that will teach you how to control the movements. Once your learn how to photograph you will be able to use that skill in any format, either film or digital.

Sandy King

I second this idea. I find that even when using 35mm handheld, the experience of having used large formats already has really disciplined me and taught me to use the frame effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    'Cause old film cameras are cool. Just as some would prefer a 1960s MGB-GT over a newer Honda Civic, even though the Civic outperforms the MG.

...Mike
    My rebuttal: SU electric fuel pump. Enjoy your walk to work.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    My rebuttal: SU electric fuel pump. Enjoy your walk to work.
    Ditto That! I hated those GD cars, what a piece of junk.

Don Bryant

I should probably mention I intend on ending up with both formats. The question is which to start on. (Keeping in mind I've never used film)

Vascilli,

I'm a young'in(22 in my case though) like you, and I found photography at around 17 as well.

I started with 35mm, but within 2 months had saved up enough dough to buy a rb67 kit. that got me started with the "big film", and I loved that camera to death.

but at the urging of a professor to try 4x5 for a portraiture assignment for a college course, I fell in love with LF. It was mainly the slowed-down pace, where as the photographer, I wasn't just snapping away, "getting" the shot, but rather, MAKING the photograph I wanted from the sitter.

I am still shooting 4x5(and now mostly 8x10, b/c of my printing process, contact work neg size=size of print, no enlarging), and my favorite subjects to frame are my friends and family.

using a LF camera also affords you other advantages/dis-advantages as well.

advantages(IMO):
    1. a slower pace, which in turn helps you to "make" the picture you want, by forcing you to make sure everything is right before taking the photograph.
    2. less shots overall. because you took the time to make the photograph right from the start, you now have less time trying to correct things.
    3. you get much greater image quality(as long as you have a sharp negative/chrome that is )
    4. You can always put a 6x7/6x9 rollfilm back on your 4x5 camera(as long as it has a graflok back), allowing you to use the movements that your MF camera doesn't have(such as tilt, swing)

but there are some dis-advantages that can be had w/ LF:
    1. a slower pace, less shots. Shooting people can be tricky business, and sometimes, 8fps can be a good thing, especially if you're photographing little kids(or my friends, who can't hold still for very long ). Sometimes IMO its just damn fun to "let 'er rip", and burn a roll of Tri-X in like 5 seconds. Just burns a hole in your wallet though if you do it a lot .
    2. bigger/heavier equipment. I'm assuming you don't have pack mules, or a free sherpa service to lug your LF camera up K2 or Everest, so shooting a smaller and more portable format can allow you photographs that might be more "technically impossible", or just plain "stupid to try taking a 4x5 to the top of Everest", where as a 35mm or MF camera will allow you that, without being too heavy.

but in the end, I still use all formats from 35mm->8x10. It just depends on how I want to portray someone/something, and how I feel I want to get there.

but don't get too hung up on equipment, just use a camera for a while, get used to it, and if you feel that you're looking to make something that your current equipment can't handle(such as tilt/swings for m/f without having a special lens), look for the right tool for the job.

just my very detailed $.02

focus on making damn good pictures, nothing more. Use the camera that gives you the most ability to create the pictures YOU want to make. I.E. : "follow your gut".

best of luck!

-Dan

Octogenarian

Dan,

You left out two very important advantages of using a large format camera:

1. The ability to use the camera's movements to control perspective and depth of field.

2, The ability to custom develop each individual sheet of film to control density and contrast.

Also, you don't necessarily need a Graflok back to use roll film on a large format camera.

Calumet sells roll film backs that slip under a 4x5 ground glass like standard film holders.

They are available in 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 formats.

Octogenarian

One more advantage of a large format camera:

The ability to use a variety of film emulsions without the need to wait until you finish a roll before changing the film in the camera.

You can expose one shot on color film and the next one on B&W film by merely changing film holders.