Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper Disposal

Octogenarian

Re: Proper Disposal

Harvey,

Bring this matter to the attention of the EPA. Do not dump these chemicals into the water supply. It is a serious crime, and your boss knows it.

If you dump these chemicals, it is very likely that the EPA will eventually trace the spill back to it's origin.

Your boss will be held responsible, and possibly be forced to close his business. One way, or another you will be out of a job.

The EPA will help you dispose of the chemicals safely, and you will be able to look yourself in the eye without feeling guilty.

Also, if you dump them, you may be considered party to the illegal dumping even though your boss told you to do it (although if prosecuted, you could be used as a witness against your boss-still I personally would not prefer to be arrested in the first place).

multiplex

hi harvey

sorry about your situation ...
    there was a guy ( and his wife ) who
    dumped chemistry like this in PA and they were thrown in jail
    and fined hundreds of thousands of dollars.

contact a waste hauler.

Your boss asked you to "deal with it"? Try testing some of the expired chemicals with x-ray film; if they're still good perhaps you can sell them at a discount to your customers, or to us cash-strapped LF photographers. If the containers are partially damaged, maybe you could repackage into new bottles or sell off the clean, non-leaking stock to cover the costs of hauling the rest away.

As a CYA move, you might send your boss an email with a link to this thread, or to Google: "EPA fines and penalties" to let him know the potential for serious consequences. Having a record of your actions may be useful if things get nasty. Or (if he insists you dump it all) take pictures and chemical names, then walk right over to the local DNR or EPA office to ask their assistance. Perhaps they have funds available for preventative abatement. Who knows, if your stock is deemed not too harmful to the local sewer system the EPA might even grant you a variance to dump diluted chemicals down the drain in several small batches over the course of a few days. Then it's all legal and above board, you look good, and your boss is happy he's not liable for those old chemicals.

He may decide to fire you, but based on your description of what's going on he may do that eventually anyway. About 5% of the population is always made up of a--holes and self-centered jerks. Learn to spot them and get away, for your own sanity.

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies. I told that jerk that I wasn't dumping anything and if he wanted to fire me over that go ahead but I will contact a lawyer and the epa on his ass. He was probably dirty on a lot of things and don't want to open a can of worms so he back off me. He said he will contact a waste hauler about taking it away. Thanks again fellows!