Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji discontinuing emulsions

Japan Exposures

Re: Fuji discontinuing emulsions

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    so QL is discontinued, this time for sure?
    Sure - sort of. Until you see it's gone for good.

I have trouble to understand the reason for this unclear (non-existing?) communication towards their customers, most of them loyal over many years.

Quickload and 800Z have been discontinued-and-revived a few times - it would not be surprising at all to see them cancelled for good.

As to the 160xC all formats discontinuation, bear in mind that that is a statement by the US local representatives - which do not decide what is being made, but which of the available products they distribute. In a similar vein Fuji UK seem to have discontinued their import and distribution of Astia in all formats. Local reps jumping off a particular film is of course critical as well, as it will create a decline in worldwide sales that might finally lead to a discontinuation at the factory - but at that point, it is still possible (and sometimes succesful) to demand they bring it back.

Sevo

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Quickload and 800Z have been discontinued-and-revived a few times - it would not be surprising at all to see them cancelled for good.

As to the 160xC all formats discontinuation, bear in mind that that is a statement by the US local representatives - which do not decide what is being made, but which of the available products they distribute. In a similar vein Fuji UK seem to have discontinued their import and distribution of Astia in all formats. Local reps jumping off a particular film is of course critical as well, as it will create a decline in worldwide sales that might finally lead to a discontinuation at the factory - but at that point, it is still possible (and sometimes succesful) to demand they bring it back.

Sevo
    No. Sorry. Fuji is not going to produce the 160 in an format....anywhere. This has nothing to do with distribution....is has to do with production.

This is a hard blow. I really would have expected Kodak to drop color neg before Fuji.

Guess Fuji was doing a better job masking the size of it's customer base.

Mike

hacker extraordinaire

Guess Fuji was doing a better job masking the size of it's customer base.
    Apparently! I still can't believe that they will now have NO 400 speed film 120. I LOVED Neopan 400, too.

I really would have expected Kodak to drop color neg before Fuji.
    I would expect the opposite. With Kodak discontinuing kodachrome, bringing out Ektar 100 across all formats, and Fuji's historically strong E-6 line of films, I'm bracing myself for further consolidation of Kodak E-6 films, while Fuji's discontinuation of CN films doesn't surprise me.

hacker extraordinaire

Gunn continued: “In the case of Neopan 400 120 our hand has been forced by environmental concerns over one of the raw materials used in its production.”
    Just another reason for me to loathe the neo-environmentalism zeal that is invading everything good in the world.

Wait, so once fuji stops making C-41 in sheet film, kodak will be the only company making C-41. that means we would be one step away from no C-41 sheet film at all. That is very scary. I really cant believe that fuji would discontinue all of these films. That is terrible!

Sorry, i just read the link that bettersense gave to fuji's press release and they say they will keep fuji 160s in sheet film and rebrand it as 160NS:

"The remaining films in the Pro 160S range are to be re-branded as Pro 160NS, to fall in line with a global name change. The film itself remains unaltered.

In further product development news, from early Summer 2010 Fujifilm’s ranges of 5"x4” and 10"x8” films will be packed as 20 sheet boxes instead of the current 10 sheet packs."

So, they will not be getting rid of sheet film, just consolidating a little. I can live with this.

It also means that there is no tungsten film available on the market, in chrome or neg. My lights for shooting fine art and reproducing it (which I do occasionally) are now useless....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing