Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever worry about getting shot while using your spotmeter?

Re: Ever worry about getting shot while using your spotmeter?

I was taught never to point my spot meter at something I wasn't going to shoot.
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

On the flip side. I was next to a back road where I live shooting an old farm house. I just started packing my camera in my car's trunk when I heard a car pull up behind me. Turning around I saw this guy coming towards me. I flip my jacket open and seeing my holstered light meter he backed off and jumped back into his car and took off.

Also, after spending 4 yrs as a military cop in the mid 70’s. I can understand why the security guards and cops stop you. They do not know who you are and what you are up to. Today everyone thinks a mad bomber is around every corner. I’ve found some cops are ass H%^* but most are OK.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I have spent the last 11 years photographing the Chicago River–yes, it's in Chicago, and beyond. I have shot virtually every bridge, from above, from below, you name it. I've covered almost every inch of the river's many, many miles. I use a spot meter, but do not carry it on my belt. The one and only time I had a problem was about 2 weeks after 9-11 when I was on the opposite side of the river set up to photograph Navy Pier.
    Richard: Just wondering how one gets to the point you described opposite the Navy Pier? I've wanted to do this shot for some time and I visit downtown Chicago once a year on average.
    A MF shot of it attached but not from your particular vantage point. Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

No I have never been confronted about my spot meter but yes I think about the possibility of it causing an incident by someone mistaking it for a handgun. I am in and around NYC frequently. On the Brooklyn bridge there are always thousands of people taking photos at any one time so no problem there. But in less populated areas it could be a problem. I use a plastic clip on mine to attach it to my belt loop (like the kind at the end of dog collars) and it doesn't seem to raise any suspicions when carried that way.

On a side note, I have a concealed carry permit and when wandering the wilderness areas of northern Maine I always carry my 45 magnum in plain sight. I feel it is best to let them see it right away if a warden comes up to see what I'm doing. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Spot meter? pshaw. Take this to a political rally to get a few photos and see what happens. :-)

(Zenit Fotosnaiper. Trigger fires the shutter)

Bob, what you need to do is start out on the south side of the river–the Riverwalk has been completed and you can now walk from Wolf Point, near the Merchandise Mart, to the lake. When you are on the east side of Lake Shore Drive, wander past the Coast Guard boats, not really thinking of where you are, and be sure to not see the small "no trespassing" signs, through the gate, and keep going past the building that to my surprise is a police station until you reach the end. There you are! Now the trick is to not get arrested! I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS! I think the world is much more paranoid today than it was when I made this photo and I don't think my reception would be as friendly if this happened now.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Richard: Just wondering how one gets to the point you described opposite the Navy Pier? I've wanted to do this shot for some time and I visit downtown Chicago once a year on average.
    A MF shot of it attached but not from your particular vantage point. Cheers. Bob G.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Bob, what you need to do is start out on the south side of the river–the Riverwalk has been completed and you can now walk from Wolf Point, near the Merchandise Mart, to the lake. When you are on the east side of Lake Shore Drive, wander past the Coast Guard boats, not really thinking of where you are, and be sure to not see the small "no trespassing" signs, through the gate, and keep going past the building that to my surprise is a police station until you reach the end. There you are! Now the trick is to not get arrested! I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS! I think the world is much more paranoid today than it was when I made this photo and I don't think my reception would be as friendly if this happened now.
    You could possibly apply for a permit to go and photograph from that location though. It never hurts to ask. And if approved you not only wont be harrased, you might actualy get some sales out of the photograph. I have found that quite often in "restricted" places the ask first approach works very well. The key is the right person/agency to ask.

Also this following link some might find handy for a better idea on knowing your legal rights in such situations. http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Only in deer season if I'm not wearing enough blaze orange outerwear.

Russ
    high in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Tierney View Post
    On the flip side. I was next to a back road where I live shooting an old farm house. I just started packing my camera in my car's trunk when I heard a car pull up behind me. Turning around I saw this guy coming towards me. I flip my jacket open and seeing my holstered light meter he backed off and jumped back into his car and took off.
    So if the situation was as confrontational as you describe (not just some case of mistaken identity) and he'd had a gun himself, you'd now be under some boards in the back pasture-- and your digital spot meter listed on eBay from a seller with a 99.44% Positive feedback, the only clue to it's nefarious origins being it's mis-categorization under Vintage Toys.

Andi Heuser

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

But seriously, have you ever been photographing in a "sensitive" area, like under a major bridge or near a federal building (USA) and think about some spotter calling in the drones and snipers?
    Ok the following didn't happen in the USA, but in my hometown in Germany.
    I was photographing near a high security court building
    which was buillt especially for terror cases.

watch here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voL5InKgW4u

Just that day there was a courtcase with some "unfriendly guys" and I didn't
    knew that.
    Two policemen came after 30 minutes, the common blabla, "strange camera you have there",
    "yes" I said, "large format, Sinar,swiss made, you want to have a look through the ground glas?"
    "No sorry [hehe always be careful], but please show us your ID-card"
    one asked me friendly.
    They checked the data and that was all.

Of course I could go on with my photos.

Maybe they were so friendly because I didn't point a spot meter at them?
    Last edited by sanchi heuser; 30-Jan-2010 at 08:12. Reason: wrong URL