Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback on the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack system

Re: Feedback on the Kelty Redwing P2 backpack system

Another vote for the Redwing -- I'm a small woman and I have the original Kelty version that I have accessorized with some of Bruce's gear plus a Gnass case for lenses. Holds my Chamonix 4x5 or my Anba Ikeda 5x7 with no problem and is a joy on long hikes.

I'm about to ship it off to Bruce to have it officially modified to improve access.

JT

Hi Harley

After 10+ years of using various Lowepro rucksacks, I eventually got fed up of the uncomfortable harness systems, and the weight of the rucksacks themselves. (The Super Trekker weighs 5+ kilos empty ) So last year, after much research, I ordered the Kelty P2 with side pockets, and various RPT bags for cameras and lenses.

The whole system is superb, though not perfect. Individual bags for the gear is great when you want to vary the equipment carried from trip to trip. Just take out or put in what you need without leaving wastful spaces and gaps, as would happen with the Lowepro bags. This flexibility, along with the generous room available for non-photographic items, means that space is never a problem, and is hugely flexible. The empty rucksack (with the camera bags inside) weighs in at 2.5 kilos, half the Lowepro's weight. The side pockets are huge, much larger than I expected, and well designed.

Without exception, the harness system is the most comfortable I have ever used on a camera rucksack. I have been able to adjust it perfectly to suit my physique, something I was never able to do with the Lowepro rucksacks.

However, there're are two minor problems with the system. The first is the method of attaching the backer board in the rucksack. Maybe it's me being a bear of little brain, but I still haven't worked out a satisfactory way of doing it. Secondly, the rucksack is not as waterproof as it should be, even with the rain cover on. I've fitted a plastic liner to the interior which provides an extra barrier and seems to work fine, but the first outing in persistant rain resulted in a very wet interior. (This never happened with any Lowepro I've used). Incidently, the rain cover is not large enough to cover the side pockets.

The RPT bags are very well made and have some nice touches, such as the tabs for temporary closing. Bruce has been available to answer all my queries, even putting me right and reimbursing some money when I mistakenly ordered the wrong bag for my Shen Hao. Fantastic service

Bering in mind the two caveats about the backer board and the waterproofing, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Kelty/RPT system.

I sold my P1 and bought a P2. The P2 is heavier because of the increased padding in the belt, but Bruce assured me that it is more comfortable than the P1. It definitely is.

The top row left case holds three Nikkor lenses: 90/8, 135/5.6, 200/8, with Linhof releases and adapters for the Lee RF75 filter System. The small case on the right holds ND and grad filters for the Lee RF75 system.

I also had Bruce make me a custom size case. It's the one in the middle row. It holds the Chamonix viewer ( http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/view8.JPG , review coming), a Lee RF75 polarizer, a Nikkor 300/9, and a Metered Light spot meter.

The lower case holds the Chamonix 45N-1. A Fuji Quickload holder goes to the left of the camera case.

A Feisol 3342 tripod with a Photoclam PC-40NS ballhead is strapped to the right hand side. A plastic cup prevents the spikes from punching through the pack.

The complete pack, with 10 sheets of Quickloads, weighs 19.5 pounds. With the P2, it feels like 10 pounds.

Do I recommend it? Yes. Do your back a favour!
    Eric

Chamonix 45N-1 (Sold!)
    Panasonic DMC-G1 & GF1

Eric,

Those photos do a great job of showing the pack. Many thanks for posting them!

Quote Originally Posted by oris642 View Post

I also had Bruce make me a custom size case. It's the one in the middle row....
    What are the dimensions of the custom case? It look like you went for maximum width and depth without being too big so I wonder what you came up with? Thanks.

The custom case is 12" wide (the maximum) outside. Inside it's 5" x 5" x 11.75" to be able to store the Chamonix viewer, which is 5" wide x 4.75" high.

Note the arrangement still leaves me room above the lens & filter cases for other stuff - a rain jacket, food, etc.

Th item at the bottom, below the camera case, in the Ziploc is the Ebony rain hood (not included in the 19.5 pound weight measurement).
    Eric

Chamonix 45N-1 (Sold!)
    Panasonic DMC-G1 & GF1