Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What developer do you use? Why?

Re: What developer do you use? Why?

D 76 with HP5 1 part developer to 2 parts Water. Standard development time is 14 minutes for Normal Development. For N+ or N-1, -2,-3 its 2 minutes less/more time per period. For two part developer I dilute D 76 1:5 with 2 minutes agitation and 15 minutes development time this avoids the 2nd water bath. My ISO is 300 on my Pentax V and 200 on my Sekonic DR 758 DR. Grain is not a problem! All chemistry is at 68 degrees.

Why... It works and I would rather spend time taking pictures than experimenting with new chemistry
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

hacker extraordinaire

I use diafine a lot for TriX and Neopan 400 roll films for the speed boost without the "pushed" look. I don't expect to get perfect negatives from roll film and it's pretty much idiot proof, fast, doesn't require temperature control and is very cheap.

When I want finer grain or the ability to control development, as well as a more conventional tonal scale, I use a conventional developer which right now is D23. I used to use D76 but D23 is easy to mix up, works very well, and is really cheap when replenished. I get 20-30 rolls out of a liter. It's very easy to mix up and I never run out.

I'm really looking at trying Rodinal now, though. I'm a sucker for a sharp look and that back-to-back test above, along with Rodinal's reputation for sharpness, are luring me. Where can you buy it?

xtol

Easy to mix.

Easy to replenish.

Great results.

If I were to use anything different as my main it would be HC-110 or Ilfords equivalent.

The Rookie

Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

D76 1-1. It's an excellent general purpose developer, it's been around for about 100 years IIRC, the longest any film developer has been on the market so I've been told. It also has a good shelf life in concentrated form. Mixing isn't a big deal, I mix a gallon at a time and then store it in a bunch of small bottles that are kept full. I've read a couple articles that made a fairly convincing argument for using it undiluted. But my tests were all done diluting it 1-1 and I didn't feel like re-doing all my tests. If I were starting out from scratch though I'd use it undiluted.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Eric Woodbury

I used PMK with HP5+ for 20+ years. It keeps forever and I worked out a process to use it in a JOBO. But I got tired of that and went looking for something else. I like the keeps-forever property and starting with a liquid. I'm switching over to using tubes. I did some testing with Jay's 510 Pyro, but it seemed to lack shadow detail at speed. I found some with some modifications to the developer that I can get speed and shadow detail. Also, I get a bit more separation than PMK. It is still a formula in progress, but I'm encouraged.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I use Rollo Pyro in jobo expert drums for my sheet and roll film.
    Per Volquartz was kind enough to give me a lot of guidance when I was just starting out and I haven't altered a thing in over 5 years.

I shoot mostly Efke 25 and print on Ilford paper. I have a box of Lodima that I'm eager to dig into as well.

The more I read Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook the more I'm interested in mixing my own (of everything) but it will still be some version of what I'm using now.

Have fun,

Alan.

for what and for why? Thats the nature of it.
    When you are walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.

D-76 diluted 1+1 for small-tank processing of 135-36, 120 film-rolls and rotation processing of 8x10 film-sheets.
    For inversion agitation development of 4x5 film-sheets in a Jobo 2521 tank with a 2509N reel, I have ordered some Champion Promicrol which I will use at a dilution of 1+14 for reasons of economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Although a powder, XTOL mixes more easily than ID-11/D76.

Below is a link to a Kodak chart that lists developer charecteristics:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=14053

I just used Xtol for the first time, and I think the recommendation is a good one. It did mix easy, and I really liked the results.