Thread: copyrighting images

copyrighting images

So I was a little disappointed when I was told I can not get a blanket copyright for any image I make. I'm not the best when it comes to the business end of this so I'm looking for any suggestions on a copyright process that works for them.

Thanks,

Rick Winkler

Eric Woodbury

Re: copyrighting images

As I understand it, the best copyright is a registered copyright. Put as many of your images as you can on a CD and send it to the copyright folks with a single fee. This gives real leverage. I'm sure others here will elaborate.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Check this out, Best way is to get approved for electronic filing, then you can upload many digital images at the same time.

http://copyright.gov

multiplex

look for the form VA ( visual artist ) ...
    gang or single registration, is not expensive ..

Yes, I do. It is not too far in the future that the ONLY way to register your copyright will be electronically. Electronic filing is the approved way, by the CO, right now. They want to wean people off of physical prints. You can register hundreds of images for the $40 fee.

The electronic way looks like a good bet. I would guess it's like balancing your checkbook in Quicken vs doing it by hand...let the computer do all the hard work.

Thanks much,

Rick W

So, reading through the eCO application process, it looks like all you have to do to file electronically is pay your $35 (it's cheaper for e-filing) and upload your unpublished images, preferably gathered into a single or series of ZIP files.

I can't find anything on the minimum image dimensions they accept this way. Do they want full-size originals, half-size, or screen-res?

You just need a file large enough for the image to be identifiable without ambiguity.

If you have precise questions, call the copyright office. I have found them responsive.

I have filed many images electronically using the ECO system. I just file small jpgs. I have not had any problems with amount of time to upload or the upload process being interrupted. You are allowed to upload many batches before the final submit so if one batch fails it would not be a major problem.

I keep a folder on my hard drive labeled as un-filed images. I have a batch process that copies jpgs to this folder. Every 9- days I zip the folder and upload it to the ECO system. I used 90- days because you have 90 days to file the copyright after first publishing to retain full protection. After uploading I empty out the folder (but I keep a copy of the folder with the filing date so I can keep track of what I have files).