Thread: Mystery lens - whatisit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mystery lens - whatisit

The style of the two levers is very reminiscent if not identical to the larger 14" or 18" Zeiss Portrait Unars (first version around 1908 or so). One lever for aperture, the other to dial in the degree of softness. Definitely before the age of aerial lenses. Here's a similar one: 120220089373 (notice the buyer on that one).
    The camera I really don't care about. It's just a badly aged Century; but might still be good as parts donor (I got better specimen in my collection). But you are right; this lens doesn't belong to the camera, and most certainly not on the groundglass side. I do have an interesting no-name studio camera (in black) in storage, which I intend to put the lens on.

I have this lens out in my cabinet. It is a 16" Petzval marked 3A as it was an American copy of the famous Dallmeyer 3A lens. It's gi-normous compared to the Dallmeyer.

Seth Broder just sold the same lens albeit much prettier a week ago for double what you paid, so you did fine. I was watching it too, knowing exactly what it was but I didn't have 300 shamolies to spend.

I think you may be able to completely take it apart, strip the yuccy black paint off, and have yourself a fine antique petzval there. Just a hint though. You'll need a studio camera with a 9X9 inch lens panel to hold the beastie up. No joke.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I have this lens out in my cabinet. It is a 16" Petzval marked 3A ...
    I really need to see your cabinet ... I really do ...

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    I really need to see your cabinet ... I really do ...

...c'mon over... It's that big one at the back of the top drawer. FireKing. 1700 degrees 2 hour rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I have this lens out in my cabinet. It is a 16" Petzval marked 3A as it was an American copy of the famous Dallmeyer 3A lens. It's gi-normous compared to the Dallmeyer.

Seth Broder just sold the same lens albeit much prettier a week ago for double what you paid, so you did fine. I was watching it too, knowing exactly what it was but I didn't have 300 shamolies to spend.

I think you may be able to completely take it apart, strip the yuccy black paint off, and have yourself a fine antique petzval there. Just a hint though. You'll need a studio camera with a 9X9 inch lens panel to hold the beastie up. No joke.
    Jim, I knew I could count on you for sage advice.
    Yup, watched Seth's lens too, but it was beyond my means (a beauty for sure). I sort of knew that my lens was a UNAR, but didn't want to rock the boat and broadcast it. And I am pretty sure I know why you didn't want to spend the "300 shamolies" on it; that other lens you have set your eyes on is one heck of a beast . It's on my watchlist too for mere entertainment (won't bid on it), so I wish you good luck.
    My lens is going onto a no-name studio camera. Well, I got three to choose from, and now I have a good reason to give it new bellows .

Cheers