Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 color film

Re: 5x7 color film

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    When I clicked on the link, I came up with a page that had no useful content. Perhaps my browser failed me. Anyway, Steve did not say which film is being considered. So it is not necessarily a stock item anywhere. Sal, we just need more information.
    I don't know why your browser can't open it, but the page shows a 50-sheet box of 5x7 Portra 160NC as In Stock and available to order for $199.95 with no minimum box quantity.

I just purchased some 5X7 NC Portra, Kodak film from www.bhphotovideo.com.
    I don't know if they bought a batch or if Kodak is cutting it to 5X7 as a production item but I have a box in hand. Expiration 2/2010

LJ Segil

I too have bought the Portra from B&H but would be very interested in learning of other possibilities for available color film, neg or reversal (Astia please, anyone?).
    LJS

badgergraphics.com has Fuji Velvia 100F 5X7-20 sheets and Fuji Provia 100F 5X7-20 sheets.

I confess I have never used color sheet films and would be very interested to try.

A few questions:

1. Do you meter the colar like B&W? Do you just dial in 160 speed in you meter and and take a read and shoot?

2. How do I do in N- and N+ since I am not doing the processing? Or there is no such thing as -/+ in colors.

3. What do I do after the shoot? I live in LA, just send the films with the folders to the processing store? Any names?

Thanks.
    Hugo

Scott Davis

Color negative film, like black-and-white negative film, is highly tolerant of, and in some cases benefits from, slight overexposure. With the Portra 160, I'd be inclined to shoot it at 100, and give it normal development. You CAN do +/- development with color film, but the latitude of color neg is substantial, and you run the risk of creating color crossovers that cannot be corrected if you get in to more than n+/- 1.5 or so. As to processing, there should still be pro labs in LA that can process 5x7 color sheet film. I'll leave recommendations of labs to folks more local to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post

1. Do you meter the colar like B&W? Do you just dial in 160 speed in you meter and and take a read and shoot?

2. How do I do in N- and N+ since I am not doing the processing? Or there is no such thing as -/+ in colors.

3. What do I do after the shoot? I live in LA, just send the films with the folders to the processing store? Any names?
    1&2. what Scott said.
    3. A&I in Hollywood does a great job (I've used their mail order service).