Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First web site

Re: First web site

Well I don't see it as "downright Negativity" I see it as constructive criticizing, which you asked for, but as with most things, we ask, but are not willing to accept...80% of the websites you quote, don't use the right click disable..

One of the biggest reasons, I don't like it, is not because I want to steal an image, but I, as a web designer like to look at the source code for those pages I like the style of, which yes, I know can be done other ways, but I also don't like Flash sites, and will leave before the flash ever loads, clean, clear, precise and to the point, is the way I like websites, period, I am not interested in the newest gizmo or flashy display. But that is just me.

Your pages load, fine, they look good in IE as well as Firefox. I again, wish you luck, because your most important goal is to be seen, and not by just other photographers, but by those who will buy, I know, photographers buy pictures, but you want the general public to like your website and buy your pictures as well, again, once more, I hope you have good luck with your new venture...

Dave

It is very simple, really - disabling the right clik is an attempt to control your user's browser, or even worse, limit their control over their own browser.

It is right down there with automatically resizing (or moving) the window, blaring music and other sound effects or creating all text as large, bold, red, blinking images. In a word, it is rude and offensive behaviour.

As a user, I will immediately leave any site that does these things and never return. As a web designer of many years, I will always warn against those practices, as they cast a bad light on the entire craft.

So, please don't view this as negativity, you are simply getting sound advice you asked for from people who do this for a living. To underline the statement, this is the first time that some of us who are giving you this advice here in this thread have agreed on antyhing.

And it's still not working properly in Safari. That will prevent most of the Mac folks from viewing your site properly.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

It works fine in Opera, although the disparity in text sizes on the "pricing" page is reminiscent of some of the worst ebay auctions...

What's the matter with making a good old fashioned screen snapshot when you want to swipe an image? It works for me.

From a business point of view, you actually want people to swipe your images so they use them in their comps that they use to sell their concept to their client, and hopefully come back to you to purchase the usage rights. No real professional is going to steal your image for a real client without paying. And people who will steal your images are going to do so anyway, no matter what protections you attempt.

So making it easy to steal your images is actually to your benefit....

Ok, guess I'm a little slow but I'm starting to understand there's plenty of negative reasons not to disable the right click.
    Not working in Opera, hmm I'll have to check on that.
    Thanks for all the input.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Saulius, it is working fine in Opera. But the right clicks do too, and the h4 text size you use for text is too large on my screen (Opera lets you view the sorce of just about anything, too), at least compared to the much smaller size in the actual price list.

Hi, very nice work! On aethetics, in my opinion the simulated frames detract from the images.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks Ole, I'll look into that.

Thanks Jon. I've been thinking about removing those frames. The longer I've looked at them the less I've liked them.

Re: negativity? Harsh call.... but the reality

I like not to think in terms that offend sensitivities. However, I do think in terms of reality. I presume your web site will exist to generate awareness of your work and ultimately income for your pocket. If so, dump the "right click disable". The purpose of the website is to generate a positive atmosphere where people can view your work and make decisions about you as a photographer. Adept web users use the right click functions for many justifiable reasons beyond attempts to steal your work. In fact, as long as you are using the proper file formats and sizes, no one will acquire any usable image off the site. The fact is that there is way too much emphasis put on potential violation of copyright on the web. As mentioned before there is just too many images and too much copy on the internet to spend time worrying about the theft of an occasional, virtually unusable copy of an image.

The "reality" I speak of it that the "right click disable" function just pisses people off and they jump from your site to sites they perceive to be more friendly. It has nothing to do with your intent... It's just how cyberspace works. Similar to using all caps being shouting, etc.

I work on computers, I teach classes including internet usage, and I teach digital camera and eBay classes. It does not take much in terms of poor decision making about your site to turn even a few people away. I reiterate that I don't think that's the reason you put up the site in the first place. Do all you can to make it a positive experience for everyone who visits.

BTW, I did visit and navigate the site. Like the images and the layout. It worked well for me using Firefox on a PC. Good luck on your endeavors.