Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first 8x10 lens

My first 8x10 lens

Since the "Commercial Ektar" and "Wide-Field Ektar" are being bandied about here, note that they are different lenses, and the 10" WF Ektar has lots more coverage than the 10" Commercial Ektar.

My first 8x10 lens

It's easy to tell the 10" Wide Field Ektar from it's normal relative. The 10" Commercial Ektar was in a size 4 shutter, and the 10" W. F. Ektar came in a size 5.

My first 8x10 lens

I recently purchased the Schneider 210 G Claron for my 8x10 camera from Robert White in England for around $400. I bought it on the recommendation of Ron Wisner and I've been very pleased. If you look at Schneider's published numbers for this lens it looks like the image circle is way below the 325 mm image circle needed for 8x10. However, due to the design of this lens, the image circle gets larger as the aperture is stopped down and this continues until the aperture is at its smallest size (F 64 on the 210 G Claron). At F 32 it easily covers 8x10 and probably also covers at F 22 though I've stayed with F 32 to be safe. I've used it with some front rise and also front tilts with no problem at F 32. There would be even greater room for movements by stopping down to F 45 or F 64 (no diffraction problems with contact prints). If you go to the Wisner web site, and get into the older question and answer section (sorry I don't remember the exact names, it's been a while since I did this) towards the very end you'll find a question concerning use of G Clarons with 8x10, followed by Ron's response concerning their coverage and his technical explanation of why G Clarons work with 8x10. I went this route rather than buying one of the older moderate wide angle lenses that have been mentioned lenses mentioned because by buying from Robert White I was able to get the G Claon new, in a new Copal 1 shutter, for not much more than the older lenses, in their older shutters, would have cost.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My first 8x10 lens

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1208439467