Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anybody using WD2H+?

Re: Anybody using WD2H+?

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I think any nominal difference in Callier effect between stained and non stained is probably vanishingly small, and probably has much more to do with inhibition/ exhaustion effects overall. I do wonder how many people will recognise that the comparator has to be the Beutler formula (modified to use Kodalk) and not some other random developer...
    Well it's not very small - otherwise I wouldn't have ditched conventional developers in 1999 and used PMK mainly since then.
    However my comparison was only against my usual developer at that time, which was Perceptol 1+2.
    I just had a look for the Beutler formula, because I've not seen it widely discussed, luckily John Finch had a page about it.
    What are the differences between Perceptol 1+2 and Beutler in practical terms ?. Am I right that Perceptol is also a metol-only developer ?

Re: Anybody using WD2H+?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    Well it's not very small - otherwise I wouldn't have ditched conventional developers in 1999 and used PMK mainly since then.
    However my comparison was only against my usual developer at that time, which was Perceptol 1+2.
    I just had a look for the Beutler formula, because I've not seen it widely discussed, luckily John Finch had a page about it.
    What are the differences between Perceptol 1+2 and Beutler in practical terms ?. Am I right that Perceptol is also a metol-only developer ?
    From all the available evidence Perceptol/ Microdol stock solution is 5g/l metol - therefore 1+2 is 1.67g/l Metol. Beutler is 0.5g/l metol at working strength, and this is the point at which Metol can be seen to have viable (both statistically and clearly visible) exhaustion effects of consequence to sharpness and highlight density.

Beutler and Microdol/ Perceptol share a common root (5g Metol, 100g sulphite), but go in different directions for various reasons.

There is a destructive test that would demonstrate if there was truly any meaningful tanning happening (doubtful on any emulsion that's already incredibly well hardened with vinyl ethers - which are very, very difficult to damage).
    Last edited by interneg; 24-May-2024 at 08:19.