Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF/ULF contact prints using 35mm enlarger as a controllable light source.

Lachlan 717

Re: LF/ULF contact prints using 35mm enlarger as a controllable light source.

Unfortunately, as described, I won’t be able to hang a bulb in the tent. Thus, looking for an alternative.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I would use the 35mm enlarger and worry about uneven lighting if it becomes an issue, but I also use a 4x5 enlarger for contact printing without issue. Another bonus for the 35mm enlarger is that many of them can easily be adapted to be a "copy stand" for digicam scanning. The price of a simple reliable copy stand these days is surprisingly high.

At one time I used a Vivitar enlarged made for 35mm and 120 as a light source for 8x10 contact prints. I believe the lens was 80mm or so. It worked fine. My only concern would be whether the column is long enough for 11x14.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Unfortunately, as described, I won’t be able to hang a bulb in the tent. Thus, looking for an alternative.
    Should work fine, raised up high enough, you should get good coverage for 11x14 with most 35mm enlargers. I have used a 4x5 enlarger without the lens for Azo -- sped things up a bit. I have also used a clip-on light clipped onto the enlarger head so it could be raised up and down and plugged into the timer.

Bare bulbs do work, but my eyes have never liked going from safelight conditions to the blast of bright white light.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

If the enlarger head can't get up high enough to cover, just use a lens with a shorter focal length, or stick a close-up lens/filter on the lens you're stuck with.

I use my Spot Meter to check the evenness of light on the paper

and have made a center filter to even out the light
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Should work fine, raised up high enough, you should get good coverage for 11x14 with most 35mm enlargers. I have used a 4x5 enlarger without the lens for Azo -- sped things up a bit. I have also used a clip-on light clipped onto the enlarger head so it could be raised up and down and plugged into the timer.

Bare bulbs do work, but my eyes have never liked going from safelight conditions to the blast of bright white light.
    Not all 35mm CAN go over 8x10 for some reason. Not just due to baseboard size.

Matt Alexander

I recently built a contact printing box - with both UV and White dim-able LEDs for my 6x36" cirkut negatives. So far I have not noticed a need for extra diffusion.
    Box is about 6in high and easily transportable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1287.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	250161
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    There are a few enlargers that can't make prints larger than 8x10. They were made to be very compact -- some even fit in a suitcase. Others were designed for quick repetitive 8x10 production, for example, or operation without a darkroom. But these enlargers are the exception to the rule -- that the vast majority of enlargers can make prints larger than 8x10".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daylab.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	250162

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    That is why I wrote "you should get good coverage for 11x14 with MOST 35mm enlargers."
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China