Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New to Me 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar

Re: New to Me 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar

[QUOTE=Mal Paso;1713451]How much bellows draw?]

Malpaso,

Measured bellows draw is Fifty-three Inches, so calculated Bellows draw factor is TWO STOPS for this close-up.

1000mm F16 Apo Ronar Wolfe Configuration Close Up Looks Good by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is very close to what Mr. Wolfe was using out in the field. A standard sized 8x10 Norma Bellows, three Norma Auxiliary Standards (I have another one coming). Three Norma 4x5 standard Bellows. The Compendium Hood is a Norma Tapered 4x5 Bellows. Viewing through the lens image looks really good and sharp. The two C40's provide ROCK SOLID support even in strong wind. Tripods may be weighted down in the field.

When I'm ready I will expose some test film. Sure does look great on the ground glass. Typical Apo Ronar optical performance. BTW my working aperture full open is F32. I'm be exposing with multiple Broncolor pops which works OK for B&W. I think I'll use 8x10 HP5+ for maximum speed. Then contact print.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

View through 8x10 Tele Sinar Norma 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar by Nokton48, on Flickr

View through the 8x10 Tele Norma 1000mm F16 Rodenstock Apo Ronar. I have a fresnel screen on the camera, the hotspot moves around, to view the glass in "quadrants". Quite sharp as I would expect from all my Apo Ronar, from the 150mm tiny gem, to this MONSTER. I'll leave this up til I'm satisfied, need to load 8x10 and 18x24cm holders next. This is great fun!

Figuring how to break this down, into my Sinar Norma Cases, will take some thinking. Three or four cases would hold it all. I have a Mint 8x10 Norma Case (bought from a very Nice Gentlemen in Italy), for the rear standard and a lot of stuff. The two FOBA tripods continue at my CLA Spa, one is fully done, cleaning it with Electronic Contact Cleaner, as I would do with Normas, makes a big operational difference in how the big rig handles. Easy to make changes once the rig is up and running!

― Mark Twain

If you mounted it on the roof of a Smart Car you could drive it to location and have storage for holders. The camera would hang over the bumpers enough to view the image or set the shutter. Fiberglass shell for travel.

There you go, thinking outside the box again LOL

Actually it's staying put, leaving it set up. It's great and VERY adjustable, in a surprising handling sort of way. I like using it and looking through it. I worked in a Graphic Arts Color Separation House when I was young. Now I have my own portable completely adjustable process camera LOL.

The 8x10 Norma Rear Standard (focal plane is adjustable for different thicknesses of holders), can be used to make B&W Separations, they made something called a "Mullion" film holder for making halftones and separations. Never seen any offered. Pin registered in the camera.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 28-May-2024 at 07:52.

― Mark Twain

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Nice Enhancement on the FOBA C40 Triple Column Tripod. I JB Welded a Nice Small Bubble Level ($1.00 each on Amazon) and I can view it no problems as I level the tripod. Cool thing about the C40's, is that you press a thumb release and it drops each leg or releases it to shorten it. So it sets up like uber quick and straightforward, and is a real Brick House of Tripods IMO. Quickly and infinitely adjustable just like the Norma. It's all one functional unit really from about the same era.

― Mark Twain

My Manfroto 3051 has individual leg release levers plus another 3 levers any one of which will operate all 3 legs at once. It also adds a lot of weight for stability and could use it's own pack mule.

I have three or four Manfrotto tripods around the studio, I've always been a fan. My two FOBA C40's are bigger and much heavier than the Manfrottos. And I like 'em 'cause they are tripods made specifically to mate with Sinar Normas. So authentic from tip to toe.

Yesterday I discussed this project with Adam at S.K.Grimes, he looked at the pic in "Castles in Spain" and we are on the same page regarding what I want. A solid block of aluminum CNC'ed to make a properly made rear mount for the 1000mm lens. He estimated $300ish to make such a custom rear mount, seems very fair. I'll pack it up soon and I think send him maybe all the front end parts including the two broken Norma Standards (don't need focusing so perfect use of these).

― Mark Twain