Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: why they remove the price after an item is sold ?

Re: why they remove the price after an item is sold ?

For the same reason forum members seem to not post full serial numbers? Bugs me when I see something like Serial No. 9837785XXX

Consider this. You list something here for $X and list it on eBay for $X plus the anticipated sales fee and PayPay fee. If it sells on eBay, the buyer pays that higher price plus sales tax. It could be awkward if somehow they come across that item on the Forum for significantly less.

Just sayin’…
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

There is no forum rule about removing or leaving the asking price, so as with many things it comes down to individual choice. I choose to leave the price info there after the sale, and I appreciate seeing older posts with selling prices when they are available, but that is still no guarantee or predictor for a current selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    For the same reason forum members seem to not post full serial numbers? Bugs me when I see something like Serial No. 9837785XXX
    I don't understand that, either. Posting serial numbers on this forum is quite a good idea for an owner, in fact. If equipment ever gets lost / stolen at least they'll be able to find the serial number in an old post to report to the police.

Serial # may not be useful

Many hands lost the thief

Inflation is real

NOS in box with warranty is a real thing
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    I don't understand that, either. Posting serial numbers on this forum is quite a good idea for an owner, in fact. If equipment ever gets lost / stolen at least they'll be able to find the serial number in an old post to report to the police.
    No its not a good idea, think of serial numbers like your ss# do you post that on the forum? Write the numbers down (and or photograph them) and keep in a safe place for insurance and law enforcement purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    No its not a good idea, think of serial numbers like your ss# do you post that on the forum? Write the numbers down (and or photograph them) and keep in a safe place for insurance and law enforcement purposes.
    Why do you think it's not a good idea? If someone can explain why I might change my mind, but there must be a reason. A lens or camera SN is not a social security ID, it's not permanently connected to my identity. I do have things written down, but things get lost, destroyed in fires / floods unfortunately. Backups aren't a bad idea. Also old online posts can be useful when trying to prove to a loss adjuster that you really did own / use something, even that it has significant replacement value.

About the main point of deleting prices from sold listings, I don't see the benefit to anyone (including seller), but maybe some sellers could say why they do this to clear this up. They don't have to, and can continue to delete prices if they wish, of course. I generally notice it when I see a listing late, and end up wondering how much whatever it was cost.

Kumar always deletes the price and often the whole listing. I find that a negative and have not purchased from him.