Thread: B&W Photography Exhibit, Sasse Art Museum, Pomona, CA May 3 - May 28, 2024

B&W Photography Exhibit, Sasse Art Museum, Pomona, CA May 3 - May 28, 2024

Re: B&W Photography Exhibit, Sasse Art Museum, Pomona, CA May 3 - May 28, 2024

Tanks. I'll make a point of going there. I didn't even know it existed!

Have you been cloned, Merg? You are the only photographer who gets double billing!

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Have you been cloned, Merg? You are the only photographer who gets double billing!
    Gregg, hope not!

I was surprised when the museum wrote me a few years ago to report that some of my very early work (1953) was in their collection. Piecing the tale together, it turns out that a collection of photographs gifted by the niece of Dody Weston Thompson found its way to the museum. Dody was Edward Weston's assistant for several years after he had ceased photographing in 1948. She was also the guiding force behind his Anniversary Portfolio and Fifty Photographs book, both published in the early 1950's. It was during that time that I met her, and as a teenager had given her prints of my first photographic efforts. Also during this time she was married to Edward's son Brett. For her assistance, Edward compensated her with works from his personal collection. Hence, the works at the Sasse Museum by Edward Weston came from Dody's personal collection.

Dody was a fine photographer and writer on the subject. She was with Edward at Point Lobos in 1948 when he made the last photograph of his career. He later labeled it "Dody Rocks".

Dody died in Los Angeles in 2012 at the age of 89. We had a long and wonderful friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Tanks. I'll make a point of going there. I didn't even know it existed!
    Pieter, I hope you see the exhibit and report back. Be sure to check the hours and note the May 28 closing date.

New Orleans, LA

Great story! Congrats on the exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Gregg, hope not!

I was surprised when the museum wrote me a few years ago to report that some of my very early work (1953) was in their collection. Piecing the tale together, it turns out that a collection of photographs gifted by the niece of Dody Weston Thompson found its way to the museum. Dody was Edward Weston's assistant for several years after he had ceased photographing in 1948. She was also the guiding force behind his Anniversary Portfolio and Fifty Photographs book, both published in the early 1950's. It was during that time that I met her, and as a teenager had given her prints of my first photographic efforts. Also during this time she was married to Edward's son Brett. For her assistance, Edward compensated her with works from his personal collection. Hence, the works at the Sasse Museum by Edward Weston came from Dody's personal collection.

Dody was a fine photographer and writer on the subject. She was with Edward at Point Lobos in 1948 when he made the last photograph of his career. He later labeled it "Dody Rocks".

Dody died in Los Angeles in 2012 at the age of 89. We had a long and wonderful friendship.

Thank you Thom.

Your reply brings back memories of Michael and Paula. I recall that you also knew them. I miss their visits.

Hope your work goes well.

Merg

Congratulations, Merg. I wish I could see it! Cheers!

Thank you Andrew.

I enjoy following your photographic activities and results. Well done! By the way, you live not far from one of my favorite places to visit and photograph --- Vancouver Island. Had relatives living in Courtenay which made a good base-camp for exploring the Island over many years.

Best,
    Merg