Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems developing Fomapan in a B&W King 5x7 developing tank

Re: Problems developing Fomapan in a B&W King 5x7 developing tank

Quote Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
    I've not used my 5x7 camera in a little while but want to get started with it again. One problem I had previously was with agitation during developing Fomapan 100 using a B&W King 5x7 tank. I found that, no matter how careful I was, the film sheets would tend to come loose and stick to each other.

Is this likely poor technique on my part, or is it possible that Fomapan is not quite compatibile with the B&W King developing tanks? Their instructions say "The product uses Kodak, Fujifilm, Ilford film width data design. Users need to use the same data of the film. Film that does not conform to the above data is not suitable for this product."
    I guess it's possible than Fomapan is a mm or so smaller than Kodak or Ilford sheet films, and hence doesn't work as well with tank developing. I'm reluctant to switch to another film because they're about four times the price ��

Has anyone had experience with this? Is switching films the only option? Tray developing isn't a practical option for me as I lack access to a darkroom.

Thanks!
    Dear Penguinoid
    Thank you for your trust in B&W KING. I am a large frame photographer, . I independently completed the design of B&W KING. Because I understand the photographer's demand for photography equipment. So in the design and production of B&W KING, with the comprehensive goal of convenience, reliability, sturdiness, and aesthetics, we hope that B&W KING can become a trusted and satisfactory development tool for every large frame photographer.
    Let me explain the problem you encountered.
    1. In 2008, B&W KING began designing films using Kodak, Fujifilm, ILFORD, and several Chinese brands, which were available for purchase in China. At that time, I did not find Foma film in the Chinese market.
    The measurement data for Kodak, Fujifilm, and ILFORD are basically consistent. However, there is a significant difference in film size for a certain brand in China, sometimes it is not possible to insert large format film boxes (large), and sometimes the film boxes may fall out (small). So I specifically state in the product manual: The product uses Kodak, Fujifilm, ILFORD film width data design Users need to use the same data of the film Film that does not conform to the above data is not suitable for this product
    2. B&W KING utilizes the bending tension of the film to combine with the can edge cylinder (the last push) to achieve film fixation, ensuring that the film does not fall off during the development process, which is the most important function of the design.
    The film installation method requires the use of waste film and repeated practice in a bright environment to master. Only then can one proficiently operate in a darkroom or dark bag to avoid mistakes.
    There are different methods for any film development tank, and the same goes for B&W KING. I hope that all photographers can gradually master the techniques and develop their works well during use.
    If any photographers have any questions or suggestions, please raise them on the forum for serious discussion and exchange between us. I hope to make sincere friends with all the photographers.
    I don't know English, this is computer translation. If there are any mistakes, please forgive me.
    Last edited by bw-man; 12-May-2024 at 18:35.

Re: Problems developing Fomapan in a B&W King 5x7 developing tank

Quote Originally Posted by bw-man View Post
    Dear Penguinoid
    Thank you for your trust in B&W KING. I am a large frame photographer, . I independently completed the design of B&W KING. Because I understand the photographer's demand for photography equipment. So in the design and production of B&W KING, with the comprehensive goal of convenience, reliability, sturdiness, and aesthetics, we hope that B&W KING can become a trusted and satisfactory development tool for every large frame photographer.
    Let me explain the problem you encountered.
    1. In 2008, B&W KING began designing films using Kodak, Fujifilm, ILFORD, and several Chinese brands, which were available for purchase in China. At that time, I did not find Foma film in the Chinese market.
    The measurement data for Kodak, Fujifilm, and ILFORD are basically consistent. However, there is a significant difference in film size for a certain brand in China, sometimes it is not possible to insert large format film boxes (large), and sometimes the film boxes may fall out (small). So I specifically state in the product manual: The product uses Kodak, Fujifilm, ILFORD film width data design Users need to use the same data of the film Film that does not conform to the above data is not suitable for this product
    Hi!

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions, and for the clarification as to why the manual does not mention Fomapan films specifically. It seems Fomapan works ok.

The B&W King developing tank has been very useful for me -- I don't have a darkroom and so I cannot easily develop film without a 5x7 film development tank, and most others are difficult to find or are very expensive.

2. B&W KING utilizes the bending tension of the film to combine with the can edge cylinder (the last push) to achieve film fixation, ensuring that the film does not fall off during the development process, which is the most important function of the design.
    The film installation method requires the use of waste film and repeated practice in a bright environment to master. Only then can one proficiently operate in a darkroom or dark bag to avoid mistakes.
    There are different methods for any film development tank, and the same goes for B&W KING. I hope that all photographers can gradually master the techniques and develop their works well during use.
    I did actually practice loading the tank in the daylight, but for some reason I didn't notice that I needed to push the film sheet a fraction further (the last push). Now I know this, I'll practice again and hopefully I will not have problems from now. I am sure I will get better with practice.

If any photographers have any questions or suggestions, please raise them on the forum for serious discussion and exchange between us. I hope to make sincere friends with all the photographers.
    I don't know English, this is computer translation. If there are any mistakes, please forgive me.
    The computer translation did a good job and I understand perfectly. I started to learn Chinese at one point, but unfortunately I never got very far and I did not learn to read or write. Hopefully, I will get a chance to learn more in the future. 谢谢您!