Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikkor 120mm f5.6 AM ED Macro: Optimal Range, vs. Optimal Magnification

Re: Nikkor 120mm f5.6 AM ED Macro: Optimal Range, vs. Optimal Magnification

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    I have the same brochure in PDF. It doesn't explicitly say so, but the image circle numbers are based on 1:1 magnification. The spec table gives a 55 degree f/22 angle of coverage; plugging this into the formula for image circle at infinity gives a 125mm image circle. Nikon says 250mm, which can only be correct at 1:1 as the image circle at 1:1 is twice that at infinity.

Of course, this doesn't address the OP's original question about the range of "optimum performance".

Regarding MarkJ's comment in post 7, Rodenstock's literature says the 120mm and 180mm Apo-Macro-Sironar have 6 elements in 4 groups, so the design differs from the Nikkor-AM (he is correct that Schneider's Makro-Symmar is an 8-element design). The Apo-Macro-Sironar's 1:1 coverage is 336mm, significantly more than the Nikkor-AM's 250mm.

I have no info on the Apo-El-Nikkor so can't say whether the Nikkor AM is or isn't similar.
    Thanks Steve; this is indeed informative.

I need to review lens formulas. Asking rhetorically, one thing that interests me: how large an area in the subject can I cover and still have optimal performance? For example, at f22, it should be about 20"x25". (At least I can still multiply. )

One project I anticipate for this lens is photographing all 72 fishing flies that my uncle tied as part of his business. He co-owned Poulsen Brothers Fly and Fishing Tackle, Inc. that evolved into Poulsen-Cascade in the Pacific NW. He tied a complete set of all his flies for each of his nephews, and I want to document these flies using my P45+ digital back. This 120mm AM ED lens should be ideal for that purpose.

I'm no fly fishing expert, but I assume photographing flies on 4x5" would generally be in the realm of 5X. Am I in the ball park or way off base?

Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    One project I anticipate for this lens is photographing all 72 fishing flies that my uncle tied as part of his business. He co-owned Poulsen Brothers Fly and Fishing Tackle, Inc. that evolved into Poulsen-Cascade in the Pacific NW. He tied a complete set of all his flies for each of his nephews, and I want to document these flies using my P45+ digital back. This 120mm AM ED lens should be ideal for that purpose.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I'm no fly fishing expert, but I assume photographing flies on 4x5" would generally be in the realm of 5X. Am I in the ball park or way off base?
    A Phase One P45+ digital back is a ~49x37mm CCD sensor, so 1:1 or 2:1 is probably more likely.

So a P45+ isn't anything close to 4x5, right? Maybe they should have named it the P45-.

Drew Wiley

P645 minus. Smaller than the smallest 120 format. We're speaking of centimeters here, not inches. But at only 1:1 or 1:2, there are a number of other close-range corrected lenses which should do well, like a 135 Componon in shutter, or 150 G-Claron, or 180 Fujinon A. But if one can afford the specialized 120 AM ED, why not?

Arca-Swiss

Phase P45 is 37x49. I believe
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com