Page 124 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1253

Thread: Paper negatives

Re: Paper negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Attachment 249837

Sorry for the mundane subject matter; it was more of a technical exercise for me and I don't feel like lugging the C1 out into the Wild just yet.

Paper negative on Ilford MGRC DeLuxe Glossy rated at 3 ISO, developed for 1:30 @ 72f in Photographer's Formulary Liquidol 3:1.

Calumet C1 8x10 View Camera w/ Fujinon 250mm f6.7 with #8 Yellow filter. Exposure was 10 seconds @ f22. Looks like I just clipped the image circle on the upper left of the image. I did have considerable front rise applied to get more of the sky to see how the yellow filter would render on a paper negative.

I made a crude attempt to burn-in the sky, but it's rather hard to judge just where to shade the paper when there is no image projected! I laid a failed prior attempt alongside in the same orientation and tried to judge from inferred position. Kind of worked; but not fully. You can see the dodge line on the shed, starting toward the top of the double doors.

Really surprised I got a reasonably good negative on the first try.
    >>>>>

Not to worry about any "content". Your positive looks very good. Your experiment went very well.
    As with what I do.... I have captured so many images of my backyard that I am really sick of doing it - However - as I experiment a LOT with different chemicals, reformulate developers, and or try different ways to get what I want in any positive print - The Backyard is so covenant that I must use it. Besides... It is ALL about the LIGHT, and the processes and development YOU want to achieve.

So---

Post anything you want - and to hell with the content.

Good luck to you. AND Remember to always Keep a NOTEBOOK.

P.S = Have you ever given a thought to use a Yellow #2 filter? -- I find it helps retain the light grays better - especially with clouds in the sky.

Jim.

Jim,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I actually did use a yellow filter; that's what caused such a long exposure with an additional 5 seconds thrown in for reciprocity failure. It was a wild guess, but it worked.

The ratio on the Photographer's Formulary Liquidol should be 1:3; one part stock developer and 3 parts water. I tend to be a bit dyslexic at times, so the error in the original post.

For some reason, the image looks a bit more washed-out when uploaded it here. Looking here might give a better representation of the actual print: https://flic.kr/p/2pQj844

Thanks for all the help with both paper negs and X-ray film!
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

First attempt.

Speedotron 2400ws through a Blackline head with a 20" dish with a diffuser.
    Ilford RC Portfolio Photo Paper -Glossy
    Multigrade developer in a Jobo print drum.
    Yellow/green filter on lens. (Hoya)
    12" Commercial Ektar clone at F/11 on lens.

Forehead read f/32 with a flash spot meter. + 1 stop bellows extension, +1 stop filter, +1 stop placement on Zone VI.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    First attempt....
    It's kinda creepy but also really cool! The high contrast works well for this.

Thanks, Ned. Yeah, mannikins are creepy! I didn't want to subject a human to the initial tests, especially with the flash power needed. The head makes quite a "Whomp!" when it goes off. Today I made a bracket on my studio stand to hold a light right over the lens. I'll try some Mortensen-style "Basic" light, or I'll use that for fill. I'm trying to minimize the need for stands, as the photo area is my kitchen.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Nice job, Peter!

I seem to remember a very old SNL parody commercial where the photo flash being hawked set the subjects hair on fire.

You might be getting into GE #50 bulb territory here! An old Army Sergeant that ran the photo lab in Fort Jackson, SC told me they used to prank each other by replacing the bulb in a table lamp with one of those #50 bulbs.

Rough crowd...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Enjoying the paper negs at the minute. For someone who's shot Velvia for years the high contrast of the paper neg (with yellow filter) seems a good match for the way I see things.

Fuji 300/8.5C, Ilford MGIV, Deardorff V8.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DP_PaperNegPadley300mm.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	250009

Wow! That's really gorgeous Dave!
    Kino

Yes, gorgeous indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Nice job, Peter!

I seem to remember a very old SNL parody commercial where the photo flash being hawked set the subjects hair on fire.

You might be getting into GE #50 bulb territory here! An old Army Sergeant that ran the photo lab in Fort Jackson, SC told me they used to prank each other by replacing the bulb in a table lamp with one of those #50 bulbs.

Rough crowd...
    In the late 1950s, my father owned and operated a sweet shop, with a grill, soda fountain.....and photo supplies. Every now and and then he'd replace the light bulb in the restroom with a photo flash bulb.....