Thread: Ilex 5 1/4", f4.5, No 128 Enlarging Lens

Ilex 5 1/4", f4.5, No 128 Enlarging Lens

Anyone have any information on this old enlarger lens? It's in good shape but would like some opinions before spending alot of time testing. Regards.

Re: Ilex 5 1/4", f4.5, No 128 Enlarging Lens

It'll make a picture, but the only way you're going to find out how good it is, is to make a picture.

Hi Glenn, it will make a print but was wondering if anyone had any experience or information about the Ilex enlarging lenses. Sort of like, should I go through the 'bother' of acquiring and using an old Speed Graphic/Xenar or get a modern 4x5. I went the first route based on many positive comments from users.

I wonder if there's anyone around the forum who used or even heard of Ilex enlarging lenses? Regards.
    Last edited by Iskra 2; 18-Jul-2006 at 04:45.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Nope, no Ilex, but I use a Wollensak enlaring lens myself - does that count?

As others have said, you'll just have to try. In my case, some years ago, I had an older, kinda beat up 162mm enlarging raptar that came with a pile of used stuff I bought. I tried it out for fun,a nd found it wasn't half bad. However, I kept reading how Wollenaks wasn't as good as Nikon, Schneider, etc, so I sold it off with my old 4x5 enlarger.

Well I always regretted it, as there was just something out that lens - cannot put my finger on it - that I liked th elook of. So a few months ago on Ebay another oen came up for sale for $20. That, and antoehr $20 for shipping, I am a very happy camper, and my el-Nikkors and Componons sit on the shelf.

So don't let the brand scare you - try it out for yourself. I have an Ilex 165mm (or so) paragon anastigmat I use for shooting 4x5 occasionally. Picked it up for $50, figured the shutter was worth at least that. It's just a tessar, not a lot of coverage, but I like the lens a lot. I also have one of those Wollensak 15" raptar telephotos, and i am very happy with.

So, my personal view is that while there are certianly some dogs out there in the Ilex and Wollensak line, for most part, especaily post WW2, a lot of good stuff came from both Ilex and Wollensak, so wouldn't shy away from a lens just because of it's brand.

Another thought I ahve is Wollensak and Ilex lenses - camera, process camera, elnargers, etc - very often were used in commercial and educational settings. I've seen a lot of older Wollensak and Ilex optics that just like like somebody wailed the living hell outta them. Cleaned them improperly that the optics got marks in the coatings, or mechanically irises and or shutters not working right, and more. Same thing for those odler Graphic View monorail cameras. Most of the oens I saw were sadly beat up and abused by use, really shopworn. But I picked up one that was in storage, used twice, and in mint shape,a nd when you see these cameras and optics - be it a Graphic or a Wollensak or and Ilex - if you are lucky enough to find one in near new shape, you realize just how good some of these cameras and lenses were or are.

For that matter, I have two identical, el-nikkor enlaring lenses, and one of them is a piece of crap, but it came from an old university darkroom that was rented out to students, and nobody looked after it. Abuse has just turned a wonderful lens into a tragedy.

So yes, try it out - it might be a real gem. But if you want some "cold water" on the idea - here is it: 5.25 inches ~ 135mm. It might only barely cover 4x5 negative. See how the edge performace is on big enlargements, as sometimes I find on any 135mm lens - regarless of brand - that once in a while might be an issue.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I use a lot of old lenses, too. I can't afford the high dollar stuff and for my needs, it isn't justified. As mentioned, some of these just have a "look" that can't be gotten with anything else. One of my favorite B&W enlarging lenses is a beat up old 105 Elgeet Colorstigmat. The aperture blades aren't even in there. I just cut a disc of black paper to approximate f/8 and stuck it in there. It makes nice prints with the right negative, so I keep it. There may not be many folks left who ever used an Ilex enlarging lens.

Well, after I set up the enlarger I tried out the lens viewing an Astia 100F transparency on the baseboard. WOW. In a few more days when the chemistry is working I can try it on some real paper with the lens 'stopped down'. I rechecked the lens and it is a 5 1/2" (140 mm). Didn't notice any corner falloff with the enlarger head at the top. Not too bad for a $20 lens. Regards.