https://youtu.be/oRlReCTzDV8?si=aT8sDVbLrLVnheeK

I will tune in
    Tin Can

Re: Fly with Film Tutorial

Thank you

but I will not fly again
    Tin Can

Yes. I’m in trouble, the are installing CT scanners at Dusseldorf Airport… I hope I can get hand controlled…

I flew coast to coast (US) this morning. I asked the first TSA agent I encountered…the person that does initial ID check “I have some film to hand check, how do I do this, please?” >> Eyeroll >> “Tell the people right before you walk through the scanner”

I did that. They made me cool my heels for 3 mins then took the film and looked at it with something that looked like a dentist’s mirror. Then they handed it to me and wished me well. Added maybe 5 minutes at the scanner.

Thanks for sharing this. Very informative. I always ask for hand inspection.

-Joshua

M.A. Wikstrom

Just returned from a trip with some 35mm film: Hand check wasn't a problem with TSA here in the USA. Entering Australia some people were required to put all their stuff through a large x-ray machine, but for some reason they let me through without (could be that I completed their customs form and answered their questions right). Don't know if they would have hand checked it or not. A week later on the way to Papua New Guinea at Brisbane Airport they refused to hand check my film and it all went through the machine. It was very busy, and they probably just didn't want to spend the time. In Papua New Guinea it was much more chaotic. Often I don't think they knew what film was or that x-rays can fog it - didn't seem like they were trained very well. Film went through their machines twice, so now a total of three times.

Knowing that my film was probably going to be scanned I went with slower film. Fastest was 400, but I exposed at 200 and did n-1 development when I got home.

On the way back I managed to not get any of it scanned by kind of insisting that it's already been scanned too many times and they relented and hand checked the film, including at Brisbane where they used the same equipment that TSA uses to detect explosive residue.

No detectable fogging so far - so far I've developed all the 400 film.

M.A. Wikstrom

Add to above. If you have to get your film scanned, put it in a separate bin away from your cameras. That way it will probably go through only once without scanning back and forth. If it's in with a bunch of other stuff they might scan back and forth to get a clear view of everything, thereby zapping the film more.