Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Re: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Malpaso,

Thanks for contributing! Big strobes DO have a place, I'm playing the field.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Need help with these Visatec/Broncolor Impact IMPASPOT stuff you see here. I have two Impaspots, clean and working good. Have a frosted Bulb for the Visatec 1600B 600J Monolight, have one coming. 600J power $199 price, and it fits all my Impact stuff, which I've been using for thirty years. Also have the CONIC SNOOT which works good with a grid on the end of it. The screen printed MASKS in three sizes, I would like to replicate, and make more in different sizes and patterns. I think they also made something for the front of this? I remember an Associate doing a LOT of Yearbook Photography back in the eighties with one of these. He treated his with Kid Gloves I remember. Also was using their COMPULS Monolights back then. Good Stuff. What else do I need to Max it out??? I've seen it used for Digital Hasselblad Beer Photography. Same units I have here.

I'm going to start a thread in WTB Forum. Need a couple of frosted Broncolor Impact 21/Impact 41 Glass Protective Domes. Need those to work with the Impaspots if anybody here can help.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 6-Oct-2023 at 13:03.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Nokton48,
    I almost bought a Norman Tri-lite optical spot but I was in shock. Just one more thing had me up to 15,800 WS from up to 15 heads. Everything was less than 10 cents on a dollar, sometimes a lot less. I'm kicking myself now, I think it went for $140 with an image quality lens.

Broncolor is much more stylish. Norman is a working mans strobe. LOL Late '70s I started buying Norman and was quickly up to 4,000 WS, 5 heads and a truckload of modifiers. Lost that in 2016 and overshot the mark a bit buying back in.

Broncolor Impaspot Impact 41 CFV16 60 Dist by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rebuilding an Olde Broncolor Impaspot; in fact I have two of them. And now a Visatec (Broncolor Wedding and Portrait Division) 1600B Monolight 1600J strobe. Hasselblad 500C/M 60mm F3.5 Zeiss Distagon C T* CFV16 Digital Back. An olde crusty Acetate Mask needs to be reprinted and made clean. But the effect of this olde mask is kind of cool IMO. Olde Broncolor strobe spotlights are fun to play with

Here I am firing a Impaspot (with Acetate Mask Gobo), at a very large sheet of 1/4" Plexiglass that came with my Broncolor Hazy Light, Now the plex is vertical on my FOBA Sweep Table. Kinda KEWL how the Impaspot illuminates the flecks in the plex LOL Love those Imacon Fat Pixels.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 7-Jan-2024 at 10:36.

― Mark Twain

Wanted: 17-2017 Broncolor Mat Protection Dome Impact 21/41

The Frosted Dome for the Broncolor Impact 21 and Impact 41 Monolight Strobe.

Could use a few! They are breakable. Drat.

Thanks,
    Daniel

― Mark Twain

Did you post in WTB?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Wanted: 17-2017 Broncolor Mat Protection Dome Impact 21/41

The Frosted Dome for the Broncolor Impact 21 and Impact 41 Monolight Strobe.

Could use a few! They are breakable. Drat.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Tin Can

Yes I did. Thanks

― Mark Twain

New to Me Studio Monolights 600J Broncolor by Nokton48, on Flickr

Added a few new to me Broncolor 600J Monolights. Continuous power level up/down, Very powerful up close. Takes my Olde Impact 21's and 41's up a notch in power (Joules) and continuous power adjustment. Takes my 30+ collection of Impact light modifiers, same bayonet mount. The ImpaSpot is now fully functional, still needs some tweaks. The Conic Snoot was a gift I got from another Broncolor User, he passed on to me a box full of stuff. These are tough portable Impact units on steroids. Quite Useful for closer-in shooting. The S80 Impact was $1490 new, I paid $125. The Visatec 1600B Impact was $150. Both great deals for the money. Useful for large and medium format. I saw the Impact Frosted Dome online at a shoppe in Finland, and ordered it. Then I found out it was Impact all right, but for the more powerful S80 600J. So upgrading was a no brainer and now performing as it should. These are heavy duty units meant to last at about 10% of original cost. Lots of value for the money. The last Impact 41 I found cost me $12 and performs perfectly. 375J is plenty up close for medium format and 4x5/9x12cm.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 6-Jan-2024 at 17:48.

― Mark Twain

Colortran Zoom Eclipse Primo 2 Head 1600J Optical Spotlight CLA'ed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Decades ago I received this Colortran Zoom Eclipse along with a large bundle of Broncolor stuff. It came to me with a 6000J Head attached. Put it away for a good while, imagining someday I will clean it out and start using it. Today I disassembled it, vacuumed heavily inside and out, and sprayed and wiped off the condensers. I cobbled together a modern Broncolor Pulso to olde Universal Adapter, using stuff from the parts box, not buying anything extra. A fairly new to me Broncolor Primo 2 1600J head is lightweight and fan cooled. In addition. the unit has an Archer Fan up top, wired with long heavy duty cord. I think this will be sufficient cooling, we will see. It has a set of vignettes all four sides, and a built-in iris to adjust the size of the projected circle. I put a Frosted Dome on the Primo 2 head, need some GOBOS now, I'm considering ordering a set of metal ones. This was worth fixing up and will takes different Pulso/Primo Mount Heads, so very versatile.

I found a set of four Colortran Gobo Holders, they are on the way. Next I will order a set of metal Gobos for this, they laser burn out your patterns of choice. I would like to utilize a range of patterns for versatile strobe spotlighting.

Colortran Gobo Set by Nokton48, on Flickr

These should fit my newly rebuilt Colortran Zoom Eclipse Spotlight with Broncolor 1600J Head. Now I will buy some laser cut metal gobos. Maybe a dozen or so.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 30-Oct-2023 at 13:14.

― Mark Twain

500CM 135 f5.6 S Planar C TStar Polaroid Hazylight by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hasselblad 500C/M 135mm F5.6 C T* S-Planar Bellows Lens. Fuji Instant B&W Film. Broncolor 606 Hazylight 6000J, Modeling Light Only 1000 Watts Tungsten. Hazylight is beautiful light. The National Service Manager at Broncolor (Larry-what a great Guy, so friendly and helpful), told me those two 606 Broncolor 6000J 220V Packs, were worth North of 100K US $ -EACH- in today's money. He was flabbergasted somewhat, but kindly agreed at the time to help me get them going. Also, I had the help of two friends, both Electrical Engineers. A third friend worked in a local factory that made giant electrolytic capacitors for Industry. Those 606's moved some air when they popped! VERY loud. In my smaller studio the Octobox 150 has replaced my Hazylight, now in storage. Smaller studio footprint.

Larry called the 606 "The Iron Horse", their nickname at Broncolor for it. Every big studio had one back in the corner, in the day, according to Larry.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 6-Jan-2024 at 17:55.

― Mark Twain

Hi Daniel,

Long time lurker here who's just joined. I've been following this thread for a little while now though, and enjoying reading about the assorted lights and modifiers as you've been finding them.

I have a question for you though; the blue support arm on that impact S80, does it have some kind of rubber washer as part of the tightening mechanism, somewhere between the flash housing and the clamping knob? If so, have you had to replace it by chance? I recently acquired several Bron compuls lights (95 and 165 models), and the washers in their respective mechanisms have all pretty much disintegrated, and finding info online to help mw source/fabricate some replacements is proving elusive.

Thank in advance for any info you might have!

d.