Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Re: What IS ART Photography?............................. Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    In my experience here when someone is looking for help or a “critique” the posted image is usually accompanied with some wording to that effect. Not everyone posting images here is looking for suggestions. They might just be showing their work. What is the problem?
    Some images I see posted here and elsewhere knock me flat on my ass. I am truly impressed. On the other hand, some images leave me hoping the photographer is enjoying themselves because the end product sucks. It can be especially true for some reason with folks who shoot with high-end, big bucks gear and end up with something that looks like my myopic aunt shot with her Instamatic (yes, I know there are myopic aunts who shoot masterpieces with box cameras, just not mine).

I'm sure I am repeating myself, but if you want to witness a ruthless, cutthroat critique, go to an art school. It is common that at least someone leaves one of those in tears. An anecdote (second-hand, so take it for what that's worth): a photography teacher at a local school would take a sharpie to students' final assignment prints and mark them up with comments (not on an overlay, but right on the fiber prints). Another was rumored to take a lighter to work that did not meet the class criteria (before smoke detectors and sprinklers of course!).

Re: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I agree.
    One thing I have learned from this (and other photography forums) is that the majority of participants have never engaged in a genuine critique and don't know how to constructively engage on that level. A meaningful critique is best left to someone who has experience doing it and understands the context for performing a critique. A forum such as this isn't well suited to that process, IMO. Too many participants would walk away sore the moment the first slightly negative thing was said. Who needs that?!
    What's a genuine critique? Do you have to be an epicure to give your opinion after eating at a restaurant? Have you recommended doctors, lawyers, accountants and other professionals to friends and family? Are you an expert in these fields? what's so hard about having an opinion about a photo? Most people here are photographers for long periods of time. If anyone should have a knowledgeable opinion, shouldn't it be us?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    No one says "your baby is ugly" but there are ugly babies.

Surprisingly, there are no "so what?" or "meh" buttons on social media.

While liking a photo is nice, if one does not like it maybe a bit of explanation would help clarify why. It could come down to subject matter, composition or taste or something else.
    Let's keep it simple with three buttons: "Nice shot" "Ugly shot" "Sell your camera"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What's a genuine critique? Do you have to be an epicure to give your opinion after eating at a restaurant? Have you recommended doctors, lawyers, accountants and other professionals to friends and family? Are you an expert in these fields? what's so hard about having an opinion about a photo? Most people here are photographers for long periods of time. If anyone should have a knowledgeable opinion, shouldn't it be us?
    Not necessarily. Experience does not equate to expertise.

Not necessarily. Experience does not equate to expertise.
    Exactly the point of my post. But people give opinions anyway. In the case of photos, critiques should be taken with a grain of salt.

But the issue I have is has to do with the forum title which is "Image Sharing and Discussion" Drop the word Discussion or create another thread called Image Sharing (no critiques allowed). That's all I'm saying. Then the contributor can post their image in the appropriate thread and the rest of us will know how to handle them from a discussion and critiquing point.

Re: What IS ART Photography?............................. Rules?

In my own experience I haven’t found (or noticed) a correlation between suckiness and big money gear. However I have noticed - generally speaking - the quality goes down as the format increases in size. Definitely not a popular opinion on a large format photo forum…

As for art critiques, my own approach to this was to seek out feedback from photographers/printers I considered to be at the top of the field. Of course, you’re not typically going to get a light your prints on fire kind of evisceration that way, but honestly I think a lot of that is garbage anyway.

In any case I really don’t understand what the problem is here. Is the name of the image sharing subforum really that confusing?

Some images I see posted here and elsewhere knock me flat on my ass. I am truly impressed. On the other hand, some images leave me hoping the photographer is enjoying themselves because the end product sucks. It can be especially true for some reason with folks who shoot with high-end, big bucks gear and end up with something that looks like my myopic aunt shot with her Instamatic (yes, I know there are myopic aunts who shoot masterpieces with box cameras, just not mine).

I'm sure I am repeating myself, but if you want to witness a ruthless, cutthroat critique, go to an art school. It is common that at least someone leaves one of those in tears. An anecdote (second-hand, so take it for what that's worth): a photography teacher at a local school would take a sharpie to students' final assignment prints and mark them up with comments (not on an overlay, but right on the fiber prints). Another was rumored to take a lighter to work that did not meet the class criteria (before smoke detectors and sprinklers of course!).

A meaningful critique requires a heck of a lot more than simply having an opinion. So, you're proving my point, Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    A meaningful critique requires a heck of a lot more than simply having an opinion. So, you're proving my point, Alan.
    Don't you think the people here have that? Do you have such a low opinion of us?

Don't you think the people here have that? Do you have such a low opinion of us?
    Don’t ask.

To become a great photographer - study art.
    Cameras are easy once you learn good technique, but producing good art consistently is not.

Becoming a good artist doesn't typically happen by asking questions about your photos on a forum.
    Instead, actual growth often comes from a more immersive approach.

To truly learn, consider studying art extensively, examining what captures your attention, and delving into it deeply.
    Break down those captivating images into their constituent parts.
    Dissect the composition, deconstruct the lighting, and scrutinize the way it interacts with the subjects.
    Explore the nuances of the quality of light.

By studying art in this manner, you can learn how to reconstruct it, gaining a deeper understanding of the creative process.
    It's akin to understanding the construction of a building; once you grasp how it's built, you can create something similar on your own.

You will never excel at developing an eye if you do not enjoy looking at art (paintings, graphics, and photographs).
    You will get lucky now and then, but you will not be consistently good.
    It takes a lot of work to learn how to create good art, and you must make a lot of bad art before you get there.

If you need guidance, seek out a teacher who can provide direction.
    If you have the passion, spend countless hours poring over art books.
    Commit to a class and stick with it, even when it feels challenging, or the instructor's methods don't align with your expectations.
    This dedicated approach is more likely to yield substantial growth as an artist.
    If you lack discipline, you will not grow as an artist, and that is okay, but do not expect a forum to change that.

I think this forum is more about sharing images for fun and learning techniques for darkroom and camera.
    To improve as a photographer, shoot more and talk about it less!