I got an old copy of the "Kodak Professional Photoguide" (1979), from my local camera shop today. They have lots of useful info, especially for large format, and I like to have one handy. It's got a grey card, color patches, and lots of handy calculator dials for things like lens extension exposure factors and depth of field.

I did some reading when I got home, and discovered an interesting tidbit about exposure compensation with leaf shutters at higher shutter speeds and small apertures. This can result with up to 1 stop overexposure even if the shutter speed is accurate. I wasn't aware of this effect, but it would be something to keep in mind for large format, since we're almost always using very small apertures.

There's a table with exposure compensation. Basically, if you're using any aperture of f16 or smaller, and shutter speeds of 1/125th sec, you'll get 1/3 stop overexposure. At 1/250th sec it'll be 2/3 stop overexposure, and at 1/500th sec it'll be 1 stop overexposure.

This is only for leaf shutters, and does not impact focal plane shutters.

The guide doesn't give an explanation, but I think I can explain why this is necessary. When a leaf shutter opens, it starts opening from the center much like the aperture, and then gets larger and larger until it is fully open. Once it's fully open, there is a time delay until it starts the closing cycle. The opening and closing cycles happen very fast, so the time delay between these opening and closing cycles determines the shutter speed. For slow shutter speeds, the opening and closing cycles are much much faster than the delay time, so they have negligible affect on the overall exposure time, but as the shutter speeds get faster, the opening and closing time starts to become significant.

I think the issue revolves around how shutter speed is actually measured. I'm pretty sure it's measured from the midpoint of the opening cycle to the midpoint of the closing cycle. With small apertures, however, all the light is coming through almost right at the start of the opening cycle till right near the end of the closing cycle. This means more light is actually coming in than the shutter speed would imply. It's only important when the shutter speeds are fast enough that the opening and closing speed is a significant proportion of the overall exposure time.