Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sheet film not square

Drew Wiley

Re: Sheet film not square

If there's a risk of slipping or buckling or bowing during a long exposure, I resort to adhesive film holders. Or really, that's the style of 8X10 film holder I choose anytime I anticipate a big critical enlargement (mostly with reference to color photography, but sometimes b&w subjects too).

I generally load holders in the cleanest section of my darkroom complex, and individual wrap them in plastic bags. Still, it's hard to totally control things if out in an area with pollen flying around, or out in the desert, or near a dusty road. But if you don't start out with holders and film as clean as possible at first, the degree of necessary spotting will only become worse if things are dusty when you're out shooting. Don't forget to get any dust out of your bellows too, and off even the "darkcloth", which shouldn't be any kind of linty cloth at all !

As requested:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	241769

Film at the top was not in the proper position in the track/slot. It was on top of the groove it was supposed to be in. After sliding the sheet in holder, feel for the edge of the opening to the slots to confirm the film isn't on top instead of inside. Most of us have done this at least once.

Double exposure?

I always do try to make sure that I feel the film travelling beneath the guide lugs on the rails but accept I perhaps did not do so with this sheet.
    I’m glad I posted this query because of the useful tips provided through the thread.
    No double exposure, Kevin. The picture was a grab shot on my phone and I think there may have been reflections from a window close by. The negative does look a little odd but is fine and has produced a pleasing image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pulpit.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	241770

After the sheet is fully inserted, I slip the tip of a fingernail under the edge of the front of the slot on each side. Just to make sure. The good news, as I've discovered from making the mistake a few times, is that the photo will be fine if you stop down a lot.

I always check by doing the same

Before that I found disappearing FILM

The 4X5 was inside the bellows sprung next to bellows side
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Film at the top was not in the proper position in the track/slot. It was on top of the groove it was supposed to be in. After sliding the sheet in holder, feel for the edge of the opening to the slots to confirm the film isn't on top instead of inside. ...
    I disagree, Kevin -- both sides of the film were definitely under the rails.

Edit to add:

1) film was flat in the holder -- no out-of-focus areas on the negative which would be caused by a buckled neg
    2) rebate on all sides of the negative -- not just even -- so film was under all rails
    3) it is near impossible to have one side of the film partly under and partly over a rail at the same time
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You are assuming that the "rebate" can only be left by film under the rails. I agree the film can't be buckled mid-holder.

But if one side is loaded not in the rails (as must be the case since there is no clear area corresponding with the lip of the channel) then it can ride up and pick up a shadow from the long edge of the plastic on the film holder. One side rides just under the darkslide when inserted.

No...shadow line too sharp to be caused by anything but the rails. Spent several decades helping students ID such issues.

A warning about tapping one's holders, mostly with larger wooden ones. If you are making a vertical image and you tap the taped end (hinge) of the holder, there is the possibility of the film sliding into the light-trap area of the hinge. This part of the film will not get exposed, and of course the other end will have no rebate and not cover all the intended image. I had this happen a couple times with my older 11x14 holders...I now hold the hinge area a little tighter to prevent this.

PS -- A thought...I imagine issues like the OP's might increase if the film was cut a little too narrow.

PS#2 -- wild thought. It might be nice if film manufacturers would slightly round the corners of the sheet film (as done with x-ray film). Reduces the chance of film misalignment in the holders, as the rounded edges would let the film slide easier. Makes it easier to load film, especially into wood holders where the sharp film corners tend to dig into the wood if not slid in perfectly straight. Less damage in processing without pointy film corners to scratch other sheets.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I’m not very good at reading notch codes. What film are we looking at here?