Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 105 SW f8

Fujinon 105 SW f8

Would appreciate any thoughts on this lens. Looking at the image circle it has kind of peaked my interest.
    Wondering if it would require a center filter.
    Thanks

Re: Fujinon 105 SW f8

Many will say, No, but it depends of several factors, including your taste.

I've used the NW 105mm, and currently have the CM-W 105mm. They have angles of coverage of 76° & 78°, respectively. On both, I use a weak CND filter.

Your SW, as well as the NSW version of the 105mm, have angles of coverage of 100°. So it also depends on your film format.

If you are using 4x5 with little shifting, there is about a +50% (+1 f-stop) light fall-off in the corners, but if you are shifting toward the edge of the IC of the SW, or using a larger format than 4x5, light fall-off close to 100° is very substantial -- 2.5 f-stops in the corners.

Compare the light fall off of 75° vs 100° on this graph.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightlosbypicture.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	237788

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/center4.htm

Ok, thanks for your info. Probably just skip this one, filter size is pretty big as well 77mm.

xkaes, I looked at that graph and then at the article. It appears to be a cos^4 fall-off . This is incorrect for Super-Angulon lens constructions like the Fuji 105. They fall off at approx cos^3 . Hence the fall-off for the Fuji will be better. If you can find a datasheet for the Schneider or Rodenstock 105mm lenses, these will be very close.

For a specific example, the illumination level for an unshifted 5 x 7" negative corner will be 36%, which is -1.47 stops.

Thanks for that info. Yes, the graph is based on COS^4 fall off.

One more reason to "test it with your own gear".

To see what it means in practice, I agree yes, but actually predictions are quite reliable if you have some existing reference point. I was looking at a few fall-off graphs in more detail recently, and it's pretty accurate to assume that triplets, Tessars and Plasmats will all be around cos^4 fall-off ; Super-angulons ( & equivs ) and biogons are all around cos^3 , and inverse tele wides ( retrofocus ) for medium format are around cos^2 , although they are a little more variable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    xkaes, I looked at that graph and then at the article. It appears to be a cos^4 fall-off . This is incorrect for Super-Angulon lens constructions like the Fuji 105. They fall off at approx cos^3 . Hence the fall-off for the Fuji will be better. If you can find a datasheet for the Schneider or Rodenstock 105mm lenses, these will be very close.

For a specific example, the illumination level for an unshifted 5 x 7" negative corner will be 36%, which is -1.47 stops.
    Mark, this is interesting if true. Where did you learn that SAs suffer cos^3 falloff?

I'm a lens designer ( 34 years & counting ) but you can see it on the datasheets from Schneider & Rodenstock & work out the falloff, if you are comfortable with a bit of high-school maths.

The -,+:+,- construction , often credited to Roosinov (Rusinov ?) , has a couple of key advantages vs. the older designs like the Dagor and Angulon. Firstly they have flat field over significantly larger field angles. Secondly, they have less illumination fall-off, because the ray bundles pass through the iris at a reduced angle, so it looks more circular. As usual in optics, there is never a free lunch. They are quite a bit larger and heavier.

Interestingly, i just found this thread from the forum -
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...a%EFl-Rusinov)

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    Would appreciate any thoughts on this lens. Looking at the image circle it has kind of peaked my interest.
    Wondering if it would require a center filter.
    Thanks
    I have 2 Fujinon 105 NSW lenses, one for each 5x7 field kit. The lenses are very sharp and with good contrast, plus they’re rationally priced. I don’t find them ungainly, and I’m a stickler for compact lightweight field kits, YMMV. Most SA pattern lenses will be very large relative to their focal length, with the exception of the Nikon 90/8, which is also a fabulous lens using 67 mm filters.

Marginal coverage and consequently limited movements would be a significant concern with most non-SA style lenses in the focal range. IIRC, the most readily available and feasible 4x5 alternatives might be the 100mm Wide-Field Ektar and the 108mm (4 3/4 inch) Wide Angle Dagor and WW Wollensak lenses. These are decent but older optics. There’s also the 120mm Angulon. These all have more corner illumination falloff compared to SA pattern lenses.