Thread: Wista/Linhof Boards on Chamonix with Off-Center Holes

Wista/Linhof Boards on Chamonix with Off-Center Holes

Hey all,

I have a Chamonix 45N-1 Classic with two lenses. One is a 150mm Rodenstock and the other is a 90 5.6 Schneider. I also have two lens boards, one has a centered hole and the other has an off center hole (slightly low). Should I use one of these boards for one of these lenses in particular or will it be pretty equivalent in practical use? Based on what I've read searching here the offset hole centers the lens in the ground glass.

Thanks in advance,
    -a

Re: Wista/Linhof Boards on Chamonix with Off-Center Holes

Hi I have the same viewcamera and I have both centered and off-centered lens board.
    I use without any issue
    With the off centered lensboard the front standard should be lifted up .

Mario
    Mario

It really depends on the camera that you are using -- and what it was manufactured to use. I don't know about your camera, but perhaps it is in the user manual. Another way to answer the question is to look at the lensboards made by Chamonix. Are they off-set or centered.

On my camera, when I set it up, I have to raise the front standard to match two red dots because my folding field camera is designed to use off-set lensboards. This allows the camera to have maximum rise and fall. If the front standard is not raised, I would not have any fall.

The thing to remember is that the center of the image needs to be on the center of the viewing screen. I fit isn't, the edges of your picture will not be as sharp as possible -- of may even be cut off.

If your manual tells you to raise the front standard to use the camera, you should use off-set boards to get full movement -- and get the center on the image in the middle of the film.

Got it that makes sense -- Chamonix Boards are centered so I'll pickup another centered board. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    It really depends on the camera that you are using -- and what it was manufactured to use. I don't know about your camera, but perhaps it is in the user manual. Another way to answer the question is to look at the lensboards made by Chamonix. Are they off-set or centered.

On my camera, when I set it up, I have to raise the front standard to match two red dots because my folding field camera is designed to use off-set lensboards. This allows the camera to have maximum rise and fall. If the front standard is not raised, I would not have any fall.

The thing to remember is that the center of the image needs to be on the center of the viewing screen. I fit isn't, the edges of your picture will not be as sharp as possible -- of may even be cut off.

If your manual tells you to raise the front standard to use the camera, you should use off-set boards to get full movement -- and get the center on the image in the middle of the film.

Was the off-centre board for the 90mm lens?

You might find this discussion interesting, starting at post #3: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1627535
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Linhof boards for the Linhof Technika were off-set so that the optical lens center would be in the center of the 4x5 image i.e. you do not need to raise/lower the front standard in order to have the lens centered on the film. When I use lenses in Linhof boards on my Linhof Kardan adjustments to the front or rear standard must be made to center the lens.

When I had my 4x5 Chamonix I used both centered and off centered boards on it. The centered boards had white dots on them to match up with white dots on the front standard. When using off centered boards I had red dots to match up with corresponding red dots on the front standard.