Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Light weight 4x5 field tripod.

Re: Light weight 4x5 field tripod.

It seems that there is aready dedicated discussion going on here, but I would drop my two cents.
    Just 2 moths ago I bought from HongKong a Gitzo clone from Benro: a carbon model M227 (for ~ $260 with shipping) which is supposed to be a copy of the Gitzo G1257. Please, I do not want to go into discussion of the ethics of buying a copy of something. I needed a lightweigh tripod that one can keep on his back all day long (I did already) and I just did not have those ~ $650 (in Germany) to get a real thing. These two tripods are optically and specification-wise very similar but they are just NOT the same. I can not say that I am not satisfied with it, but it gives me very fragile feeling when tightening the legs. One has to be carefull there. Once set up - it works nicely and for me is stable enough (up to now with Minola 7D + 70-210 lens without tripod collar - long heavy nose). Just few days ago I've put on my new Tachihara 45 and I thing it will be perfectely enough. I should mention that it is fitted with Novolex magicball 50 (the middle sized one).

I did not have a chance to make a direct comparison to G1257 but I had a brief look on some Gitzo carbon tripods and they are just better done and smoother. I also suppose they will last longer. If I would have money for it - I would get Gitzo. Othervise I am happy with my Benro.
    Last edited by Matus Kalisky; 7-Jun-2006 at 01:57.

Anyone took a look at the Wolf's wooden tripods? They have a model that is rated at 26lb, only weight 4.9lb.

Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by palantiri7
    It is with great shame that I come out of the closet and admit to using a Gitzo G1228 Mk II for my Arca-Swiss 8x10 metric. Upon the shortened centre column sits an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead. This tripod does not vibrate at all. However, the 8x10 monster sitting on this combo certainly doesn't look good, proportionally speaking. Nevertheless, I am still waiting to see an unsharp slide made so by tripod vibration.
    I can't top this, but I do admit to planting my Arca B1/Technikardan on an unmodified 1228, purchased because it fit inside my carry-on bag readily. Excellent tripod. I agree "does not vibrate at all."!

After looking at and playing with many tripods at the VC Conference, I restablished my annoyance with all knurled knob tripod legs. I have never liked them since I had a Tiltal (The Guillotine) back in 1970. Just my little prejudice. .....But I ran across one of the newer Bogen CF tripods that was someones personal tripod and I liked that alot. I purchased a Magfiber 055MF3 from Jim at Midwest. It is kind of an update of the old 3021 workhorse which I have owned a couple of times. Jim gave me a superb price on it and had it drop shipped to me after the conference. This is an amazingly rigid and versatile tripod for the price.

I am still contemplating heads.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Jim Ewins

I've used a 3047 on several manfrettos even on my B&J 8x10. I found that with a Berlebach wood I don't need a QRH using the leg positions instead and saving weight.

Look at the Feisol brand. They are surprizingly good for the price and very light. http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonC
    Anyone took a look at the Wolf's wooden tripods? They have a model that is rated at 26lb, only weight 4.9lb.

Jason.
    I saw one in the used section of B&H not long ago, and it seemed like quite a decent tripod, comparable to Berlebach, but the one they had looked like it was a low-angle tripod with a maximum height of around 4 feet.

In addition to Merg Ross, has anyne had any experience with the redesigned Manfrotto/Bogen 329 low profile quick release head?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk,

If you're still in the market for legs, I'd recommend looking at the Gitzo 1227, as a few before me have suggested. I'm 6'3" and with the column extended and camera on, it's just shy of eye level. The key is to get the hook for the center column- lock it down, hang your bag on it and all of a sudden you've got a 20 pound tripod...

It's a 3 section deal, which makes it easier to set up, albiet with a slight sacrifice in overall folded length. It's never presented a problem for me- I scored a Tumi "rolling duffel" bag that has a molded plastic base in which the tripod fits perfectly- somewhere around 26" long.

I use the 410 head, which I remove and roll into a t-shirt and nestle between stinky socks and boots.

It works pretty well for "checked bag" travel- not the ideal setup, but fine in practice. Cameras look sorta funny on the spindly legs, but I haven't had any problems that could be blamed on tripod instability. I bought it to use with the Mam7, but found myself using for plane travel, no matter the format. I have a couple of bricks with "Linhof" engraved on them, so my guess is that it'll work with what you're using. Remember, the key is the column hook- don't walk away from a camera without weight on the hook.

You may or may not want to get the neat-o Gitzo carrying case- it has room for the head and makes you look like you've got a rifle. Very cool in Europe.

If you're interested, get one now. Think they've been discontinued or something like that.
    jbhogan

Gitzo 1228 is my one which is working good and holds my Horseman HF and a Sinar F1 easy!
    If you do not look onto it is a big mistake!
    I used it in the beginning also for my 8x10 B&J till I got my Wolf wood!