Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Re: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by _tf_ View Post
    Make that at least 200 sheets, 4x5 sheet of Foma is $1.20. (Or perhaps 250, the only CF I see on eBay is ~$400, and they will only get more expensive, as is the general trend with all of the analogue camera equipment.) Definitely question of priorities.
    From my perspective, getting it right in camera saves me time later. It's not just about the cost of film. Indeed, it haven't even thought about centre filters in terms of cost per sheet of film over time.

On centre filter price... A Rodenstock E82/112 in excellent condition was sold on this forum recently. I was considering it and discussed it with the vendor. He wanted US$290 for it. Note that a lot of the offers for large format gear on North American and European eBay are from vendors in Japan that sell camera gear as a business. Their prices are notably higher than prices for the same items from people selling personal gear.
    Last edited by r.e.; 6-Nov-2021 at 04:37.

Re: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    From my perspective, getting it right in camera saves me time later. It's not just about the cost of film. Indeed, it haven't even thought about centre filters in terms of cost per sheet of film over time.
    Please don't get me wrong. I am convinced that a center filter is important. Also because - as r.e. writes - the image should be better adjusted correctly at the beginning than in post-processing / print. - However, I will not buy it new. Once I manage to sell a picture, I will be able to afford everything ;-)

Drew Wiley

Center filters in effect, to control falloff, go back as far as those whirly little fans in the front center of Hypergon lenses.

I don't worry to much about a center filter on my SA90/8 on 4 x 5 - but I do when I have the lens on my 5 x 7

This is further to discussion earlier about the cost of centre filters...

I purchased a Rodenstock E67/86 0.45ND centre filter for use with a Rodenstock Grandagon-N f/4.5 75mm. I can use the same centre filter with the Rodenstock Grandagon MC f/6.8 90mm that I received yesterday. I may purchase a Schneider Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 110mm. I could use the Rodenstock E67/86 with that lens as well. The Schneider lens is more expensive than its competitors, but they take a larger centre filter than E67/86.

The Rodenstock E67/86 may wind up costing me less than US$100 per lens.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Of course. Some people may not want to spend the money or may not be able to. That said, the last few center filters that I know the sale price of, including one for sale on this forum a few weeks ago, sold for less than $325.
    This is the recent forum ad for a Rodenstock E82/112 center filter for an asking price of US$290/€250: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ter-filter-E82

Unsurprisingly, center filter cost is lower if one purchases a lens and center filter together.
    Last edited by r.e.; 6-Nov-2021 at 08:42.