Page 1482 of 1728 FirstFirst ... 48298213821432147214801481148214831484149215321582 ... LastLast
Results 14,811 to 14,820 of 17273

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by superman9 View Post
    Brand new to LF, this is the fourth photograph I've made. Fujinon 150/5.6, Intrepid 4x5 mkIV, Ilford Hp5 at box speed developed in ID-11 and shoddily scanned and stitched together on my Epson V600. Would appreciate any criticism or advice that could help me in the future. Attachment 203788
    Very nice start! I agree with the above that the sky appears to reveal some uneven development, but that could simply be scanning & stitching. Personally, I would like to see the foreground rocks (the ones sticking out of the lake) larger and of more dominance. Don't know if it would have even been possible--given available lenses--I would have eliminated the submerged rocks and used a little back tilt causing those foreground rocks to "loom" a bit. Placement of the focus plane would have been somewhat tricky, but I think it could work. All that said, it's one man's opinion and simply that...an opinion! I think it's a very nice image nonetheless.

Superman9, I like that image. Very well seen & executed. Some may not like the deep shadows of the foreground rocks, wanting to see detail there, but I have no issue with it. Well done, an excellent first effort.

Brand new to LF, this is the fourth photograph I've made. Fujinon 150/5.6, Intrepid 4x5 mkIV, Ilford Hp5 at box speed developed in ID-11 and shoddily scanned and stitched together on my Epson V600. Would appreciate any criticism or advice that could help me in the future. Attachment 203788
    I think you're off to a great start! Not sure what's up with the sky, the rest looks pretty good. It's your eye and your composition, although personally I agree with the other poster who would crop out the foreground submerged stones and use back tilt to make the foreground rocks a bit larger.

Nitpicking aside, a great start!

I think this is a fine photograph for an early attempt. I find the rocks underwater pleasing and would not remove them. If anything they should be printed a little lighter (along with the above-water rocks). I think the back tilt would add some extra drama.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Nice shot superman. I've never stitched but I do have a V600. What settings do you use when you scan? It seems to me that both pictures should be scanned flat with no auto or manual adjustments at all, no black and white points, no levels,no ICE, no sharpening, etc. Then stitch the two pictures. Then do all the adjustments in post. Otherwise one scan is going to be slightly different than the other if done before stitching.

Thank you for the advice. I don't think the issue is with the development—my negative looks solid—i think you're correct it's an issue with the scanning but that's something I don't really know how to trouble shoot. My guess is it has to do with the negative sitting unevenly but i could be wrong. On the contrast front, what would you do differently? Do you have any resources you could point me to with info relating to my contrast issues?
    My comment was based on what I could see on my screen, from a stitched negative scan. The contrast seems a bit flat on my side, with the shadow sides of the rocks somewhat below the straight line of the film's characteristic curve. But again, there's nothing substantive I could tell you from what I can see over the interwebs. As I said, overall it's a fine image, especially for a first attempt.

Thanks Dugan I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Nice shot superman. I've never stitched but I do have a V600. What settings do you use when you scan? It seems to me that both pictures should be scanned flat with no auto or manual adjustments at all, no black and white points, no levels,no ICE, no sharpening, etc. Then stitch the two pictures. Then do all the adjustments in post. Otherwise one scan is going to be slightly different than the other if done before stitching.
    I make levels adjustments and then move the negative but dont change the settings so in theory it should be the same right?

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    I know the woes of trying to scan 4x5 on a V600. Other than that a very nice image, anything I could criticize would be nit picking. It very easy to miss things when you are out taking pictures.
    Hey thanks! Do you have any tips for how to mount negatives for a V600?

The second LF photos I ever took (last week):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stomps_2000pix.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	203936