Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti newton glass history & usage wanted

Drew Wiley

Re: Anti newton glass history & usage wanted

I sure don't miss the summer heat in your part of the world; but I do miss all my various fruit trees, grapes, melons, and about a dozen other crops the heat would make sweet. Store bought just ain't the same. Of course you knew that the anti-Newton movement arose when a fig hit Sir Isaac Newton and splattered atop his head, and he wondered why, and how to stop it by figuring out a fancy formula manipulating gravity. Never worked. Seagulls would have been even worse. Any football jock knows that the best way to deal with that sort of thing is to simply wear a helmet and ignore all the math.

Speaking of AN glass, does anybody know how if Focal Point is still in business? I am looking for AN and regular glass for a Durst M805 bimaneg and I've tried to contact Focal Point a few times this month with no reply.

eBay says 'this seller' is away, it's been like that since Januari at least. So if anybody has another source that can cut to a given size and cleanup/chamfer the edges, I'd be all ears.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by gijsbert View Post
    eBay says 'this seller' is away, it's been like that since Januari at least. So if anybody has another source that can cut to a given size and cleanup/chamfer the edges, I'd be all ears.
    Cheers.
    You could try KHB Photografix in Canada.

I was having trouble with newton rings making contact prints. I replaced the glass in my contact frame with a semi frosted non-reflective glass from my picture framer. Cost me 20 bucks and no more newton rings, no weird patterns form the glass.
    Cheers!

Drew Wiley

Picture glass tends to be rather thin and fragile. For larger contact frames a thicker AN glass would be more desirable.

I have used a piece of anti-Newtons ring glass under the enlarger lens when printing for a vintage look. Only for part of the exposure. Gives an Imagon lens look to a sharp negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I have used a piece of anti-Newtons ring glass under the enlarger lens when printing for a vintage look. Only for part of the exposure. Gives an Imagon lens look to a sharp negative.
    Not if it is on the base side.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    Another way is to defocus a bit the image (rotating the focus knob, or changing head height...) for part of the exposure. IMHO it's not the same result than with a soft focus lens, but sure it's also a soft focus effect.

By experimenting this (defocus in the exposure course) we find that image can grow or shrink when moving focus, delivering different effects, we can also defocus both up and down...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Another way is to defocus a bit the image (rotating the focus knob, or changing head height...) for part of the exposure. IMHO it's not the same result than with a soft focus lens, but sure it's also a soft focus effect.

By experimenting this (defocus in the exposure course) we find that image can grow or shrink when moving focus, delivering different effects, we can also defocus both up and down...
    Some people would call that effect out of focus! True soft focus retains some sharpness.