Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was there a lens hood for the 14" Kodak commercial ektar?

Re: Was there a lens hood for the 14" Kodak commercial ektar?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Ok, so there are no color Filters (like Yellow-Green, Orange etc) that fit in the pola-screen Holder?
    This isn't a recent rig. The screen that came with it is a mess. I imagine that if there were color filters they would have been laminated like the polarizer, and similarly degraded. There were two diffusion screens that fit, and they rely on external glass texture, so the one I own is fine.

The filter holder part is open, with single pins on the left, right, and underneath to locate the filter, and a removable top pin to lock the filter in place. Shown below on my 8x10 Ansco with 14-3/4" Caltar in a #5 shutter. If you click through the photo you can see a red washer on the back of the hood, and that's ahead of the bobbin that holds the filter on that side. Similar on bottom and right, with just a pin on the top.

Kodak Hood
    by Michael Darnton, on Flickr
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Thanks a lot! So it might be a better solution to build something similar around more recent filters…

I also really like the metal hood on the image Steve posted. Does anyone know what the ›name‹ of the hood is?

I wish that I could tell you more about that hood but the camera has been gone for years.
    Steve Midgley

Instead of lens mounted hoods (which can eat IC if you are not looking), I found ways to mount a larger hinged tube or compendium hood that swings over the entire lens/shutter when shooting...

Like Mark sez, look up the Kodak guides for the proper series filter adapter, but many Kodak lenses were threaded to directly take a series filter holder, so that's a possiblity...

Many of my multi format lenses are series sized so filters interchange, and new ones are still being made, but there's the finding of rings, but sometimes a
    ring very close to your lens diameter can be secured on your lens by tape, friction fit, some glue etc...

Steve K

Photographer

This is the Kodak book Mark referred to: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html

And, I think this page gives the original specs for the 14” lens:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B27B7599-D87D-40C0-9E94-3A5433BEDA5F.jpeg  
    Keith Pitman

Yes, it says Series IX No. 91 Screw-in. I've seen some Series VIII, but not a single Series IX, but now I know what to search for Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Yes, it says Series IX No. 91 Screw-in. I've seen some Series VIII, but not a single Series IX, but now I know what to search for Thanks a lot!
    They are used for cinema, and common for them, but hard to find in the still market...

Tiffen sell new ones, as well as others... Hard to find used as they are still in use...

Steve K