Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your favorite (CHEAP) 75mm lens?

Re: What's your favorite (CHEAP) 75mm lens?

I came upon an 85/3.5 Wollensak in a box of my own old camera stuff. It was apparently mostly sold on Ciroflex TLRs. I put it on a lensboard and checked it at infinity on my Speed Graphic, and it covers the format and seems equally sharp to the edges on the ground glass. (That, of course, is a far cry from using it, but it's worth a try). Has anybody used one of these?

The Ciroflex TLR seems to have less-than-wonderful reviews online, and some people say it was driven out of the marketplace by the much sharper lenses on Japanese TLRs. That suggests that a Japanese TLR lens like the one I saw for the Mamiya TLR would be sharper and might also cover the format. But what I was looking at was an 80mm Mamiya. My experiement with the Wollensak suggests that that will cover. A 65mm Mamiya is much less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by miket-nyc View Post
    I came upon an 85/3.5 Wollensak in a box of my own old camera stuff. It was apparently mostly sold on Ciroflex TLRs. I put it on a lensboard and checked it at infinity on my Speed Graphic, and it covers the format and seems equally sharp to the edges on the ground glass. (That, of course, is a far cry from using it, but it's worth a try). Has anybody used one of these?

The Ciroflex TLR seems to have less-than-wonderful reviews online, and some people say it was driven out of the marketplace by the much sharper lenses on Japanese TLRs. That suggests that a Japanese TLR lens like the one I saw for the Mamiya TLR would be sharper and might also cover the format. But what I was looking at was an 80mm Mamiya. My experiement with the Wollensak suggests that that will cover. A 65mm Mamiya is much less likely.
    The Ciro with the premium Optar lens is good as the SG lenses...

There is a jump in usable coverage when using a 6X6 75mm that the lens might barely (or not) cover 6X7, but 6X9 is even tougher... Like Dan, I use a 80mm WF Ektar on my baby SG, and that will clip the corners on a 4X5...

The Mamiya press lenses are made for 6X9, and can be a bargain...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Watch the market-sellers patiently, and be ready to purchase when the opportunity happens.
    Any of the top 75mm wide angle lenses, 75mm f5.6 Super Angulon, 75mm f5.6 Fujinon SWD, 75mm f4.5 Grandagon can be had for $300 or less.

IMO, the best value is the 75mm f6.8 Grandagon which can be had for $200 or less.

Time of the year or seasons affect Foto Gear prices. During peak Foto season the prices are higher, off season the prices are lower. It may take a while to find a good deal, but they are out there.

Bernice
    +1, i got me a mint Grandagon-N 4.5/75mm in black Compur 0 for 250 Euro last year.
    Great Lens, I love it, much easier to set focus than with my 8/90mm.
    Like the OP I like 75mm for 4x5".

Best
    Jens