Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Schneider no longer manufacturing analog lenses?

Re: Schneider no longer manufacturing analog lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by jac@stafford.net View Post
    oh, please do not be coy!

All instructions ignore the fact that the ground glass image is upside-down! When will they fix that?
    roflmao!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    That if i can trust the seller and it is in my mother language, so if i can't check out accurately or can't find out full details or if the seller isn't honest all these issues aren't helping for sure.

Anyway, i apologize many times because i keep mentioning brand new all the time, sounds it is not a good idea to bring it many times.

I hope i can start LF as soon as possible when the situations allow.
    If you can afford to buy brand new, more power to you! Maybe Schneider and Nikon would still be grinding LF lenses if more photographers could afford to buy brand new, but IMHO the professional studios converting to digital was effectively the writing on the wall for a lot of businesses. OTOH if it weren't for studio gear to had for pennies on the dollar, I'd guess that a lot of us wouldn't be able to afford to try LF.

When one door closes, another door opens.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    If you can afford to buy brand new, more power to you! Maybe Schneider and Nikon would still be grinding LF lenses if more photographers could afford to buy brand new, but IMHO the professional studios converting to digital was effectively the writing on the wall for a lot of businesses. OTOH if it weren't for studio gear to had for pennies on the dollar, I'd guess that a lot of us wouldn't be able to afford to try LF.

When one door closes, another door opens.
    Very true!!!

LF has a long and rich history of optics that have been designed and produced for well over a century. Much like fashion, there were optics that embodied these moments in time as LF image style. LF users today can experience what these image making styles were like by accessing these vintage optics and learning how to properly use them. Same applies to non-silver gelatin image making.

Many of the foundational optics designs were invented well over a century ago and little has changed with their basic concepts. What has changed are the ways in which they are computed, manufactured, materials used and stylized by their creators.

To only accept "new" in the universe of LF optics is to completely miss out on some of the most interesting imaging optics every created. In this universe of LF optics new is simply not always better.

Much the same applies to limiting LF optics to only what is available in shutter or having any optic mounted into a shutter.

While exploring the universe of LF imaging optics is and can be fascinating, at some point in this journey, the image maker does often discover the optics most favored as their creative image making tool (s) result in their preferred set of LF imaging optics.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    That if i can trust the seller and it is in my mother language, so if i can't check out accurately or can't find out full details or if the seller isn't honest all these issues aren't helping for sure.

Anyway, i apologize many times because i keep mentioning brand new all the time, sounds it is not a good idea to bring it many times.

I hope i can start LF as soon as possible when the situations allow.
    Context is important...

When in Dubai last month, while not actively looking I did find one store carrying grip and lighting equipment and another carrying some 35mm film (likely out of date) near the Gold Souk. I expect that LF film equipment would not be common in your area, nor the traditional support network to maintain it.

Even in North America, with the move to digital, demographics is catching up to those who keep the older film equipment going, as two individuals who repaired some of my equipment in the past, have passed away, and likely none taking their place as a full time profession.

I expect the issue is bigger in the UAE, as it would typically be expats who would do the technical repairs, and if the work is not there they might move to somewhere they could continue their profession. Sending out of the country for repairs would be much more complex and difficult than sending it between states in the US, but doable. Certainly I have purchased equipment and services (Richard Ritter, Custom Bellows UK) internationally as they have not been available locally.

Good luck in your efforts...

Just to be a bit pendantic... ;-)

While I agree with most of your message, it is possible for glass to degrade on it's own. Particularly with older lenses (like WWII vintage), either the glass itself (devitrification) or sometimes the cement in cemented groups will degrade.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    And glass doesn't degrade of its own volition, only courtesy of the attention of clueless shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Just to be a bit pendantic... ;-)

[...] it is possible for glass to degrade on it's own. Particularly with older lenses (like WWII vintage), either the glass itself (devitrification) [...]
    I wish to be corrected if I am wrong, but devitrification occurs when the glass is made and does not occur later unless it is heated again close to melting and in a contaminated oven. Steven Tribe raised my interest in such long ago. Perhaps he can help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Context is important...

When in Dubai last month, while not actively looking I did find one store carrying grip and lighting equipment and another carrying some 35mm film (likely out of date) near the Gold Souk. I expect that LF film equipment would not be common in your area, nor the traditional support network to maintain it.

Even in North America, with the move to digital, demographics is catching up to those who keep the older film equipment going, as two individuals who repaired some of my equipment in the past, have passed away, and likely none taking their place as a full time profession.

I expect the issue is bigger in the UAE, as it would typically be expats who would do the technical repairs, and if the work is not there they might move to somewhere they could continue their profession. Sending out of the country for repairs would be much more complex and difficult than sending it between states in the US, but doable. Certainly I have purchased equipment and services (Richard Ritter, Custom Bellows UK) internationally as they have not been available locally.

Good luck in your efforts...
    In case you were not aware, Somita in Dubai is the Rodenstock lens distributor in the UAE. So someone must also be selling cameras there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    In case you were not aware, Somita in Dubai is the Rodenstock lens distributor in the UAE. So someone must also be selling cameras there also.
    And presumable they have some means to support their equipment...

That would be good information to have for the UAE.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    And presumable they have some means to support their equipment...

That would be good information to have for the UAE.
    They seem to also be the Cambo distributor over there.