Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Which is better for very heavy load: wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are considered.

Re: Which is better for very heavy load: wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are conside

Does anyone have practical experience of how wooden tripod legs behave after immersion in fresh or sea water?

I have a Berlebach Reporter which i love, but am worried that dipping the legs into water could ruin a perfectly good tripod.

Mike

Re: Which is better for very heavy load: wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are conside

I use a Berlebach report and i have regularly submerged it halfway down into Finnish swamp 'water' and the Baltic sea, no problems.

I give it a rinse in the shower and whipe down after getting home, its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Does anyone have practical experience of how wooden tripod legs behave after immersion in fresh or sea water?
    I second locutus' experience. See this post.

Randy, There is not an answer to your question. Personal preference plays as much a part in the selection decision as do technical specifications. Go with your heart and choose one. If it doesn't work for you, you then know what you need to do. Good luck!

Drew Wiley

I get both my Ries tripod legs into swampy muck, stream water, and ocean surf all the time. No problem at all. All the hardware is nonferrous, and I simply rinse
    off the tripod with a hose at the end of each outing. I do this routinely, even if only the spikes were in dirt. Salt spray plays havoc on all kinds of things, especially
    leather.

Well, I do not want to seem sales-ish or anything but...

1. Ries has a lifetime warranty from a company that has had lifetime warranties since 1930.
    2. 100% made by Ries in Bremerton Washington, USA.
    3. Green Manufactured and Sustainable Sourced.
    4. The Gitzo Systematic Series 5 Carbon Tripod is not even close competitor to the weight class and performance against the A100-2. Gitzo claims a "Safety Payload" of 40 KG. Ries does not recognize "safety payload" as a safety standard. The Ries Company uses the industry standard of "Working Load Limit" to calculate the "Safe Working Load Limit"

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_load_limit

Ries bases this on the weight and the fulcrum while in motion. Like movie cameras. Our company was created by the very cameramen of the early movie industry.

5. Hardwoods are more durable than the brittle carbon fiber, especially in the cold.
    6. All Weather in all conditions.

Lastly, Ries just looks sexy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Spencer

Please, be a salesperson! No shame in that, especially if you are selling your own product. I respect that far more than a carpetbagger.

I already have a Ries Model C, bought used off this forum. A fine tripod for my smaller rigs. Unknown age, yet like new.

My eyes are always bigger than my wallet, so I will wait a bit for your larger models. I want A-100 and A250-2 Head. Perhaps the head first as it is usable with my old movie 150mm bowl Sachtler tripod with wood legs.

Having moved into 11x14 field camera, I found a Kessler Crane QR a great addition to my current head. Thanks to this thread and Jim Fitzgerald.

I promised photos, maybe tomorrow if it keeps on snowing. It may, 'Silent Snow, Secret Snow'. A favorite.

I got a used Reis tripod and head two years ago. My first thought upon seeing it was, why didn't I get one many years earlier? It and my large format cameras will no doubt outlast me, even if I was much younger.