Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 Wide Angle

Re: 8x10 Wide Angle

A Wollensak WA 159mm is a cheap and viable option for 8x10.

I have been thrilled with the performance of my Kowa Graphic 210. The lens is a gem: sharp, light, generous coverage for the price, and to me more versatile than a 240mm lens.

The literature I have seen lists the image circle as 386mm. Not as great as the Computar mentioned above, but I find that the K-G's coverage on my Kodak 2D at infinity just starts falling off where my bellows begin restricting further front rise.

I also find the 370 convertible focal length to be a real bonus: wide open it is a wonderful portrait lens with flattering focus and lovely bokeh, and stopped down it handles landscapes admirably. I had SK Grimes engrave a dual aperture scale and this has really served me as two lenses for the price (and space) of one.

I saw one for sale on the forum in June, and it may still be available: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=kowa+graphic

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
    The Angulon only has a 300mm image circle at f/16. That seems inadequate for my use, unfortunately.
    Actually, it's "only" 382mm:

https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...6,8-210mm.html
    Keith Pitman

Yes, Keith, Fredrick got sidetracked to a 165 Angulon which doesn't really make it all the way to the corners with no movements. The 210 Angulon is a different animal.

I'd do an 8 1/4" Dagor. Try some lenses! Buying them off specs is assenine.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    I have been thrilled with the performance of my Kowa Graphic 210. The lens is a gem: sharp, light, generous coverage for the price, and to me more versatile than a 240mm lens.

The literature I have seen lists the image circle as 386mm. Not as great as the Computar mentioned above, but I find that the K-G's coverage on my Kodak 2D at infinity just starts falling off where my bellows begin restricting further front rise.

I also find the 370 convertible focal length to be a real bonus: wide open it is a wonderful portrait lens with flattering focus and lovely bokeh, and stopped down it handles landscapes admirably. I had SK Grimes engrave a dual aperture scale and this has really served me as two lenses for the price (and space) of one.

I saw one for sale on the forum in June, and it may still be available: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=kowa+graphic
    Thank you for the info and the link. I'll read some more about it when I have time. I remember that deciding on a digital lens was much easier, there are sample images all over the internet of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    Yes, Keith, Fredrick got sidetracked to a 165 Angulon which doesn't really make it all the way to the corners with no movements. The 210 Angulon is a different animal.
    Indeed. The 210 seems much more promising, but I have yet to find one for sale. I will investigate further upon it. Hopefully I will be able to find some sample images somewhere on the web.

I did find a very useful focal length comparison tool: http://www.digitaltransitions.com/vi...isualizer.html

210mm F9 Eskofot Ultragon

Gundlach Radar Extreme Wide Angle Anast. 8x10 6 1/4 inch (159mm) F16

No movements with this one.
    BERTHIOT (Paris) 120mm F14 Perigraphe No.3 Series VIa Brass lens with Wheel Iris
    Questions and comments are always welcome

165mm f/8 Super Angulon is a wide with movements. They be heavy and they ain't cheap, but they'll do what you asked for. I use a Wollensak 159mm, but it has no appreciable movements to speak of.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Older Fujinons will cover 8x10.
    The 180 W just covers 8x10, no movements.
    The 210 W gives you more movements.
    Both are sharp and single-coated; look for the version with lettering around the front lens element, not on the barrel.
    Great tip, not many people know this. I use a 180 W myself

+1 for the 159mm Wollensak - I love it. This was taken with one on an 8 x 10 Linhof Kardan Bi.

1959 Chevy Truck, Tucson, AZ by Kirigakuresaizoh, on Flickr