Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retouching X-ray negs?

Re: Retouching X-ray negs?

Craig, I cut 14x36 sheets down to 14x20, 11x14 and 5x7 with the Rotatrim. It is very kind to the sheets. Hardly any scratches.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That's good to know.

I have a LF retouching platform (similar to the Adams) in which one uses soft pencils to add density, and fine razor tips to remove density. Perhaps a pencil would be good unless you want to totally block transparency.
    same here, adams desk and leads ( or i used to )
    we didn't use a pencil to fill pinholes, it would just build up density around it and not FILL it
    there used to be a stick of something ( name escapes me ! )
    we used to use to put into pinholes. it was like hardish soft goo
    (sorry for being so technical) almost like a soft almost sticky crayon wax but different...
    worked like wonders ..

Craig T

Some great stuff here thanks guys!

Hmmmmm I wish you could remember the name of the sticky crayon wax...sounds like exactly what I need. I'm really not interested in stripping the X-ray film. I could just scan and create a digi neg but that really negates the need for shooting originally at 11x14 (other than the perspective variations).

Nate...the Rotatrim sounds like its performing well...I'll definitely keep that in mind. I just picked up a nice cutter (from fleabay) that will do 50 sheets at a time. I guess if I have sacrificial top and bottom sheet the ones in the middle should be perfect...well, that's the theory...

http://www.craigtuffin.com

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Tuffin View Post
    Some great stuff here thanks guys!

Hmmmmm I wish you could remember the name of the sticky crayon wax...sounds like exactly what I need. I'm really not interested in stripping the X-ray film. I could just scan and create a digi neg but that really negates the need for shooting originally at 11x14 (other than the perspective variations).

Nate...the Rotatrim sounds like its performing well...I'll definitely keep that in mind. I just picked up a nice cutter (from fleabay) that will do 50 sheets at a time. I guess if I have sacrificial top and bottom sheet the ones in the middle should be perfect...well, that's the theory...
    its not what we used to do but it will work
    you will need india ink and a paint brush

http://archive.org/stream/artofretou...81mbp_djvu.txt
    i believe it is on page 17
    ( if you use the find function for the word "pinhole" its about the 8th entry )

good luck !
    john

Craig T

Thanks John! India ink and a paintbrush eh?! I agree with your comment about pencil building density 'around' the pinhole and not 'in' it. I can see the india ink perhaps doing the same...I'll find some and give it a go though.

I've used pencils on glass collodion negs and they work a treat. Must be the more abrasive surface of the collodion rather than the smooth film base that helps it gain purchase.

http://www.craigtuffin.com

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Tuffin View Post
    Thanks John! India ink and a paintbrush eh?! I agree with your comment about pencil building density 'around' the pinhole and not 'in' it. I can see the india ink perhaps doing the same...I'll find some and give it a go though.

I've used pencils on glass collodion negs and they work a treat. Must be the more abrasive surface of the collodion rather than the smooth film base that helps it gain purchase.
    the india ink ends up being dried out and a paste (sort of ) and you can "plug" the hole exactly like the gooy stick thing we used to use
    (thats what it seems from that book at least )
    yeah, collodion is fun to retouch .. if you use inks rather than pencils to retouch the surface it s ABSORBED by the celluloid, kind of fun if you like
    that sort of thing ... when i was younger and more foolish i used to mold collodion and impregnate the surface with india ink and paints and print them.
    it was tricky though because enlarger bulbs are HOT and dried collodion likes to burn ( think cleveland clinic fire )

in any case good luck with the dried gooey india ink hope it works for you !