Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zone VI Enlarger Head (or Variable Contrast Unit) problems?

Re: Zone VI Enlarger Head (or Variable Contrast Unit) problems?

Generally one would have each colour on Maximum strength for each exposure with split printing.

Lee Smathers

Thanks for the additional information. I'll most likely try the LPL ET-500 out when I start printing with this. However, my enlarger is still in pieces as I need to get the column base's metal flattened out before attaching it to the baseboard. It must have gotten bent during shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Field illumination test: Put a neg in, focus at full coverage for paper size, remove neg. Stop down at least midway and make a Zone VI or lighter solid print. Don't print it down or you can't see the tonal changes. Process normal. Ought to show dark/bright spots, edges, light bars, et. May also show dust on TOP of your diffusion glass!
    Robert, since you're the apparent "local" authority on the ZVI heads, I'd appreciate your characterization of my head. I ran your test on Foma graded paper with the controller soft and hard set on 'G' and brightness on '8' – my usual settings. I have been experiencing "uneven illumination" on on some negatives, but have no comparative idea how severe the obvious unevenness in light may be in execution. It is entirely possible that the head has not changed over the period of time that I wasn't experiencing "uneven illumination".

Attachment 1 ~ Zone V, Attachment 2 ~ Zone VI:
    Attachment 113790Attachment 113791