Thread: BTZS ExpoDev on Apple iPad or iPod? Anyone yet?

BTZS ExpoDev on Apple iPad or iPod? Anyone yet?

Has anybody here transitioned from using ExpoDev on a Palm Pilot to the new app on an iDevice?

My time is coming. The Palm will no longer sync on my upgraded Win 7 computer. I tried in Win 7 and in the Virtual XP Mode with and without the third party drivers for Palm devices that are available. As a latter of fact, Palm Desktop in Win 7 won't even recognize the memo database, although there is no problem with that in the XP Mode.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has changed over and if you had any issues. The new iOS app looks like a nice interface improvement over the old Palm/Stylus system.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Re: BTZS ExpoDev on Apple iPad or iPod? Anyone yet?

I never used it on the Palm, but I find it useful on my iPhone. The developer is responsive - he increased the max filter factor and fixed a bug with viewing notes after I submitted suggestions via his web site.

Good to know. Every time I email David, he responds very quickly. I've been using ExpoDev for about 5 years now and the only thing I hope is done on the new platform is to come out with the desktop program that would allow you to actually read the exposure info that you can currently archive to iTunes. The Palm version allows you to read the information as memos in the Palm Desktop software, which I reference a lot. I know David has mentioned in one of the forums that it is a future planned project.

I just bought an iPod Touch 4th Gen used from eBay a few minutes ago, so I'll be giving the new platform a workout soon. I'm trying to get it ready before a big trip on Oct 4th. The Palm Pilot will be relegated to backup status.

Thanks
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

You can read the saved files - they are compressed XML. I use TextWrangler - a free app on the Mac. The file will be one long string of data where the fields are tagged <Title>title</Title>. If you follow the instructions here
    http://www.bergspot.com/blog/2012/05...twrangler-4-0/
    you can create a filter that will insert returns at the end of each field. The file looks like code, and the fractions are all decimal (no surprise), but you can read and print the files for archival use.

Good to know, thanks for the info and link.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I had a chance to load the ExpoDev software on my new (to me) iPod, load my film curves, set the defaults and play with it a little bit. Overall, I like the interface.

The only thing I find challenging are the little black input boxes for EV, zone and f-stops. It seems to take me forever to get the correct numbers dialed in, worse when using the thirds up and down arows. Even using my little finger, I find it time consuming to get the correct numbers dialed in correctly. It's all rather futzy.

I emailed David to request in a future release that he simply have a numerical entry box pop up after touching the black boxes and then the user can easily enter the numbers directly without all the up and down nonsense. That, I would have no problem with. He uses the numerical entry box elsewhere in the program and it works splendidly.

I also liked the Palm version better for overall workflow since it moved automatically through all the screens without having to tap extra icons for Metering, Factors, DOF and Exposure. I guess it makes sense if you want to go back and change things because you don't have to backtrack thru all the screens, but can simply navigate to where you want to go. I'll get used to that part I guess. It's just different.

Overall, I'll be glad to rid myself on the old Palm Pilot, because I hated using the stylus and my model wasn't backlit, so in low lighting, I couldn't read it. Also, if I forgot to charge it I would have to reload everything, because it would lose memory. I won't miss that at all.

I'm glad to have entered the modern age of BTZS.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Update,

I'm getting better at tapping the black input screens with my finger. Once David pointed out that I didn't need to hit the tiny up and down arrows, but only the top or bottom half of the input square, things got mush easier. I bought a stylus and threw it in my bag in case I need it, but it looks like I'll be fine.

I'm ready to make the trip to Cape Cod and Acadia area. Leaving this Friday.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ