Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod heads for 8x10 monorail

Tripod heads for 8x10 monorail

The Arca-Swiss B2 Monoball, despite the name, is in fact a double tilt + panning (AKA "three way") head.

The Linhof 003668 Levelling Pan/Tilt Head 90 is the head made for the 810 GTL. Adding the 003853 Quick Mounting Plate would let you mount the Color to the head.

This is not a very big head. It is 3.5" in diameter, tilts 15° left to right and is about 3.5" high. Tilts 90° forward and rotates 360° and weighs 3.3 lbs. The GTL can slice the entire length of the main rail front to back and the Color would slide about 4" for caamera positioning. Safety locks in the front and back of the slide area keep the camera from slipping off the head when using this feature.

The head clamps into any large Linhof tripod or stand with the 90mm collar or screws onto any tripod or stand with a 3/8" mounting thread. It easily supports the 28 lb weight of a GTL + lens.

I'll throw this out there...

Check out the Markins (www.markins.com) ballheads, and their support ratings.

I own the M-10 and it is rated to 88lbs. I have no doubts it can support a LOT of weight, and I use it with my 4x5 monorail all the time. I know a Kardan is a different beast, but I think their heads are superior to anything else on the market currently.

Not 100% sure about plate compatibility though...

Why use a head at all? I guess if you tilt more than 30º you need one, but I seldom do. I switched to a Berlebach with a levelling ball at Christmas and I've been very happy with it. If you must have a head, you can often find cine heads (fluid or geared) in used but useable condition cheaper than normal LF heads. I have a Manfrotto 116 on some Bogen 3061 legs that you could park on. I bought it to support an Arri in a blimp (the older blimps were lined with lead and weighed 60 lbs). The large plate makes even floppy B&J's stable enough to use. In the studio, you could put such a monster on a wheeled spreader and have a stable and portable system.

Gitzo 1570 or 570 (old number) low profile 3-way head - comfortable with 25 ibs. Big tripod plate making it possible to adjust camera-balance-point also on the tripod head. By the way - much less expensive than any Arca swiss ball head. The 570 have been sold for many years - were nearly standard companion to the bigger tele-studex'es . Quite common used. A quite inexpensive but extremely stable combination which I have advocated in this forum a few times is this head (or the less known LUMPP head) on a aluminium-surveyors tripod (new less than $$ 150.... & less than 9 ibs. ). OK - you have to haul a longer-than normal tripod (being only 2 section legs) but it will be no heavier than another aluminium tripod of same capasity, and it's made for the stability required for mounting & precision use of 20 ibs. surveyors-stations/laser alignement.

Thanks, All, for your helpful comments. I love the Linhofs, for many reasons, including stability, ease of use, compatibility with existing boards, extension, movements etc.. Thanks for pointing me to various options, especially the Linhof heads and the Majestic.

Thanks, Bob, for always being there and answering my exotic questions.

Thanks, Ellis, for recommending an additional support arm.

I thought I'd mention that ARCA SWISS contacted me to check on the head, which I thought was really nice of them. However, I have tried it with two new or almost new heads. Anyway, the gesture is admirable and will assure you that you won't be without support when using your Arca B2, which I will continue to use for many other applications.

The Markins head looks interesting as well. I guess the best for me would be a heavy studio stand, but they cost a bloody fortune.

Thanks, All. Tom