Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stateside Linhof Pricing

Re: Stateside Linhof Pricing

Or you can mail-order from an authorized Linhof dealer in Europe such as Linhof & Studio (the UK Linhof distributor) or Photografica in Copenhagen.

There is an extensive listing of Linhof products and pricing on the Linhof & Studio website:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/products.php

Pricing is more in-line with Linhof list pricing - for example, the Profi III pan/tilt head mentioned above is £995 (equivalent to US$1603).

The prices listed by Linhof & Studio are "ex-VAT" (ie don't include the Value Added Tax), but you only pay the VAT if you live in the EU.
    Last edited by Henry Carter; 23-Jun-2013 at 05:59. Reason: edit

Xingqiwu

Or you can mail-order from an authorized Linhof dealer in Europe such as Linhof & Studio (the UK Linhof distributor) or Photografica in Copenhagen.

There is an extensive listing of Linhof products and pricing on the Linhof & Studio website:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/products.php

Pricing is more in-line with Linhof list pricing - for example, the Profi III pan/tilt head mentioned above is £995 (equivalent to US$1603).

The prices listed by Linhof & Studio are "ex-VAT" (ie don't include the Value Added Tax), but you only pay the VAT if you live in the EU.

Excellent idea. The prices look MUCH more reasonable than what US retailers are demanding. I ask myself why the New York dealers just don't go ahead and ask for $15,000 - $25,000 for some of the Linhof models.

Do you think the US govt. would then hit me with an import tax if I ordered from Linhof Studio?

Rich guys fly to Germany and buy their cars, motorcycles and perhaps camera. Use them in EU for vacation and when they return to USA they claim them as used and not subject to import fees, at least that used to work...
    Tin Can

Once upon a time there was a Nikon importer called EPOI that had exclusive import agreements with several manufacturers.
    These cameras were far more expensive in the US than elsewhere across the world. If someone were to bring one into the US
    the camera wouldn't be confiscated but the brand or logo would be defaced. To add insult to injury they also wouldn't service anything they considered "grey market". Could be the same with Linhof?

Doesn't Nikon USA still not repair or warranty any grey market Nikons?

I bet Linhof has similar policies, initial camera cost includes warranty. No?

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Once upon a time there was a Nikon importer called EPOI that had exclusive import agreements with several manufacturers.
    These cameras were far more expensive in the US than elsewhere across the world. If someone were to bring one into the US
    the camera wouldn't be confiscated but the brand or logo would be defaced. To add insult to injury they also wouldn't service anything they considered "grey market". Could be the same with Linhof?
    Tin Can

Xingqiwu

Very interesting; I wasn't aware of this. I actually have two Linhofs - a TK 45 and a Kardan GT - both of which I bought ca. 15 years ago, and have never had any problems of any kind with them. BUT: my gripe is simply that the same company that lists its products without the VAT at a reasonable / acceptable price would demand horrendous mark-up charges on EVERYTHING sold here in the USA. The standard bellows for the TK now goes for well over $800, to cite only one example. So I'd be much better off purchasing used Sinar equipment or investing in a complete Walker Titan etc. instead of keeping the Linhof TK for outdoor use. How on earth can they justify these prices?

That's why i only buy very old Linhof with perfect bellows, and then I am very careful.

Any minute now I expect Bob Salomon - HP Marketing to give us the lowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Weihan View Post
    Very interesting; I wasn't aware of this. I actually have two Linhofs - a TK 45 and a Kardan GT - both of which I bought ca. 15 years ago, and have never had any problems of any kind with them. BUT: my gripe is simply that the same company that lists its products without the VAT at a reasonable / acceptable price would demand horrendous mark-up charges on EVERYTHING sold here in the USA. The standard bellows for the TK now goes for well over $800, to cite only one example. So I'd be much better off purchasing used Sinar equipment or investing in a complete Walker Titan etc. instead of keeping the Linhof TK for outdoor use. How on earth can they justify these prices?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Weihan View Post
    ....How on earth can they justify these prices?
    Because some people pay their asking prices.
    The same can be said of Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, hi-end watches, designer handbags costing thousands, etc...
    Some people want the "best".

Truth is, the "best" is what you make of it. If you WANT a BRAND NEW Linhof, but cannot afford one, then you're up a creek.
    I still don't see a WTB ad placed by yourself in the classifieds, again, you might want to try posting that there, with your ideal budget range clearly stated.

-Dan

Les

For some reason, John, my experience is contrary to what you're stating. Yes, I do recall EPOI v. well (in NY state) and my "F" may have cost more . However, I bought couple of lenses in '75, which I still have, on the outskirts of Tokyo....and there was no defacing....and El Segundo Nikon serviced my lenses in the 2009. I received no comment

Les

Xingqiwu

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Because some people pay their asking prices.
    The same can be said of Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, hi-end watches, designer handbags costing thousands, etc...
    Some people want the "best".

Truth is, the "best" is what you make of it. If you WANT a BRAND NEW Linhof, but cannot afford one, then you're up a creek.
    I still don't see a WTB ad placed by yourself in the classifieds, again, you might want to try posting that there, with your ideal budget range clearly stated.

-Dan
    That's a very accurate assessment I'm sure. I continue to scour the epay listings and other used equipment lines to see if a normal TK bellows pops up anywhere. If that doesn't work, then I'll place an ad in the classifieds here. It simply irks me that a company engages in pricing schemes that border on the irrational.

And as for "the best" - that's a tad arguable, I'm sure. The Linhofs are wonderful cameras, agreed. But so are Arca Swiss F-line models, and I don't recall seeing the exorbitant mark-ups in their US prices vis-a-vis those in CH.