Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: large lense boards cameras

large lense boards cameras

I measured my lensboard. It's 8 1/2" x 8 1/2". The opening on the camera is actually 7"x7". The camera came to me with about a 40" rail. Bellows are about the same length. Not much less. Rear movements are tilt and swing. Front I think is complete but to be honest I'm not sure if it has shift. None of the movements are geared. Makes rise or tilt kind of fun on the front. My copy of the camera came with two tripod mounts. Both have the same problem. The mount is held together by two screws [machine screws I guess]. On both mounts the right screw showed signs of being tightened repeatly over the years and both were almost stripped. To the point neither could be made tight enough. I rotated the screws and for the moment everything is fine. I assume with heavy use the screws will need contious tightening. But they look common enough.

Many thanks for answers. Perhaps my huge 890mm Nikkor will find a camera to fit its dimensions. I am particularly interested in Arca and Cambo cameras. Could not find anything called Cambo Super. Calumetphoto catalog and website have Cambo 45SF marked as 'super field'. If that 4x5 is the one with large lense boards, might give it a try. 14" rail with 25.5" extension is almost as good as two 25.5" (that's an impressive 50" bellows draw), but even at 40" this Cambo would seem to require a set of 2 bellows and a $412 coupling standard, and that gets to be somewhat expensive, unless there is some place to obtain inexpensive singular extralong bellows that fit the 45SF.

I wasn't familiar with the Cambo Super so I did a google search and

first off it came up with an eBay auction going on now. Actually going off in 4 days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3878723600&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Mine is the 8x10. The one in the ad is 4x5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3869724169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

That's mine.

About an Arca solution : the lensboard is 171x171 mm, but the frame is only 142x142 mm wide .

Maybe your 890 mm has no rear block and could fit, with only little vignetting , and perhaps annoying flare, at full aperture.
    D.C.

Dominique, at least 6.25" has to pass through the opening. That's 150 mm. So if the frame can be accommodated (smile)...