When setting up landscape shots, I’ve just about always pulled needed gear & accessories from my pack and spread them across a poncho on the ground.

Usually, the poncho is spread a little behind my right shoulder – not directly behind me – and far enough away so I don’t step on it as I maneuver around my tripod.

On the poncho goes my meter, filters & filter holder, adaptor rings, shade, level, notebook & pencil, etc. (Usually, I’ll keep film holders in the pack until I need them.) Often, I’ll pull a portion of the poncho back over some of the exposed gear for protection from direct sun, occasional drops & drizzle, and other air-borne debris. (In my region, it’s astonishing how much debris falls from tall trees in the course of 15 or 30 minutes.) If the breeze picks up, a few rocks or limbs keep the poncho in place.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever worked directly from my pack, start to finish, for all my needs – but if I shot more often in hostile environments, or in very tight places, or had to hurry more often than I like, I just might.

Generally, are you a pack, tarp, or “other” person – and does it depend from shot to shot?