First, I apologize for the lengthy post, I'm just trying to eliminate a lot of the questions people are likely going to ask. First a little background. I've worked in 4 different labs, and 2 different used camera stores, and know the song-and-dance of both. I also have my own darkroom, which is at the current moment filled with more equipment than I can use. I've bought and sold so many pieces of eqipment by now (both for myself and the stores I've worked for) that I only remember the really nice pieces that have come and gone. While working at the camera stores, many, many times people came in with gear that they wanted to sell, but theat the store was unwilling to buy, either because the owner didn't know what it was worth (even after I showed him) or didn't want to have any more used gear in the case (the overpriced new gear should move first I was told). I didn't have the $ to pick up much of the gear myself (even the Dorff 8x10 that was very reasonably priced, still kick myself over that one) but dod manage to pick up some now and again.

So anyway, this in mind, I am thinking of opening a used camera store, focused primarily around LF and MF, although with some 35 and high end digital (all used) would also be part of the mix. As part of the shop, a darkroom rental would be avaliable, for printing anything from 35mm all the way to 8x10, and also alternative processes (platinum, palladium, etc). Also contemplating renting out LF and MF equipment, as well as perhaps digital and high-end 35mm, and setting up a by-the-hour digital workstation rental, as well as having classes on LF and darkroom processes. The university here in town has darkroom space so limited that I've been asked on many occation by students if they could rent mine, and there is only one other darkroom for rent in town, or anywhere near by (and this darkroom only does up to 6x7). Of the current camera stores in town, the only one that offers used equipment is likely going out of business soon, and their offerings, both new and used, are quite pitiful. Finding a space for the darkroom and store is also not an issue, there are several rooms in the building I work in that are completely vacant and that I can get for well below market value. I already have a great deal of equipment myself, and can get much more if I actively seek it out. Part of what I would like to do however is let photographers leave their gear on the store on consignment, which lets the photographer get more from their gear, and means the store will have to front less money for equipment.

I have no starry-eyed notion of large profits, or vacation homes, the only thing I want this store to do is pay for itself, let me spend scads of time in the darkroom, and fiddle with some new gear from time to time. So this is my question, particularly to those of you who have previous experience with this, can this sort of thing sustain itself, or should I seek professional help? Also, how far would you go to seek out a good LF store, which are far and few between? And one last question: What do you think I should expect as far as costs go, and what is an accpetable margin on reselling gear?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mike